OP25 Mobile radio scanner based on OP25

jets1961

My 2015 Ford has video and L/R audio inputs. Would be nice to us a 12 VDC mini PC. I wonder if it would be possible to interface with the touch screen over USB or the cars data bus? Actually I know it's possible just not sure I would find the time to do it LOL.

gegatesSC

Premium Subscriber
My 2015 Ford has video and L/R audio inputs. Would be nice to us a 12 VDC mini PC. I wonder if it would be possible to interface with the touch screen over USB or the cars data bus? Actually I know it's possible just not sure I would find the time to do it LOL.

Definitely possible - I'd argue a scanner doesn't need a substantially high quality video feed, so could easily just use the 1/8" port with a cable to pipe video/audio directly from a PI computer, the little port is not just a headphone jack on the PI 4B+ its also a composite video! You could use any simple USB C charger in the car. This would negate the requirement for a PI screen. One of my cars has a spare video input, but the other does not.

Do note, that most cars from the manufacturer are going to disable the video while in motion by default, but there are typically hacks to fix this which range from as simple as faking a parking break signal to more sophisticated canbus interfaces. That said, for about $150 you could probably cobble together a scanner for your car. The only thing you wouldn't have is ability to control the pi screen, but with the web interface you could conceivably use your phone in a hotspot mode or over bluetooth networking and control via that method.