Mobile Scanner Antenna Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyman28

Pro-106 Mobile Scanner Antenna & Mount

I currently have a Pro-106 and live outside of Washington D.C. I listen mostly to digital 800 but with all the agencies around I do have a need to listen to the 150 and 450 range . I currently use the RadioShack 800Mhz scanner antenna but find I loose a lot while in the car.

I was thinking of purchasing the Larson NMO150/450/800 and attaching it to the roof rack rails via the Diamond K515SNMO and using a SMA Female to BNC Male adaptor to run it into my Pro-106.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts of this set up? I have been scanning for quite a few years but have never gotten out of the box of the rubber ducky.

Last edited:

prcguy

I've noticed a decrease in performance and problems with tuning when elevating antennas from a sheet metal roof to an elevated rack. The Diamond mount also uses a version of RG-174 cable which will loose over half your signal at 850MHz with the supplied 13ft of cable.
prcguy

crazyman28

I've noticed a decrease in performance and problems with tuning when elevating antennas from a sheet metal roof to an elevated rack. The Diamond mount also uses a version of RG-174 cable which will loose over half your signal at 850MHz with the supplied 13ft of cable.
prcguy

Would you suggest a mag mount instead? Or would a trunk mount setup similar similar to 2014 Ford Escape Ham Radio Setup | Jake Bechtold be better?

prcguy

I would go for a mag mount in the center of the roof over the lower lift gate mount and cut the coax to just fit your needs to reduce loss at 800MHz. I've not seen any degradation from a good 5" or larger mag mount on VHF/UHF compared to a permanent mount. I think a large diameter metal base mag mount couples adequately to the roof on VHF and UHF for RF grounding. CB and HF not so much.
prcguy

Would you suggest a mag mount instead? Or would a trunk mount setup similar similar to 2014 Ford Escape Ham Radio Setup | Jake Bechtold be better?

12dbsinad

Ok, here it is... here is my advise... if you're a serious mobile listener, (dont cringe to much) just drill it, permantly! If you want optimal, best you can get performance than that is it. No magnets scratching the paint, no coax run across the top of the roof, no door slamming on the coax and screwing up weatherstripping, and a proper RF groundplane, that is coupled thru the actual body of the vehicle. In the end, it actually looks better than a mag mount stuck up on the roof, and will work better.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
For $39.95 you can't beat the Radio Shack Antenna below, I have three of them. I have tried others but always go back to The 20-032.

Model: 20-032 | Catalog #: 20-032
Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna

Price:
$39.99

25 to 1300MHz. About 36" high, it includes a 16-foot cable with BNC type adapter connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.