Mobile Scanner Antenna Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
Hello folks, want to pick your brains to see if anyone has a recommendation on a wide band mobile antenna. I have an NMO Mount that I'd like to use as the antenna mount. I live in NJ so I'd primarily listen to local VHF/UHF conventional systems, FDNY, as well as trunked systems such as NJ State Police, Port Authority, etc.

Any suggestions on a wide band mobile antenna is most appreciated.

Thanks everyone

bobmich52

K7MFC

WRAA720
The above mentioned Larsen 150/450/800 works well for me. I use it with my BCD996P2 to monitor conventional VHF/UHF, and 700/800 MHz P25 systems.

3h2SdrT.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree with the above. The Larsen brand is well respected. They make a lot of the commercial/public safety antennas you'll see. I'm using 30 year old Larsen antennas.

Wiscomm is a big dealer, you can go to their website if you don't feel comfortable buying off e-Bay: https://www.shopwiscomm.com

Skip the amateur/hobby grade antennas and go with something decent.

rbomba

Premium Subscriber
Thank You

Thank you all for your replies and recommendations. Much appreciated!!

DJ11DLN

Yet another vote for the Larsen tri-band, I have one on my pickup (NMO the right way) and it's impressive.

That said, I stuck a Spectrum Force mag mount on my new Terrain last year because I was, and remain, leery about dropping the headliner with all of those side-curtain airbags, wiring, etc...and it has performed almost as well as the Larsen.:confused:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That said, I stuck a Spectrum Force mag mount on my new Terrain last year ...and it has performed almost as well as the Larsen.:confused:
Shhhh...that's our $20 secret antenna solution as well. It does work rather well for a magnet mount.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Hello folks, want to pick your brains to see if anyone has a recommendation on a wide band mobile antenna. I have an NMO Mount that I'd like to use as the antenna mount. I live in NJ so I'd primarily listen to local VHF/UHF conventional systems, FDNY, as well as trunked systems such as NJ State Police, Port Authority, etc.

Any suggestions on a wide band mobile antenna is most appreciated.

Thanks everyone

I concur on the Larsen and would point out that Larsen has tweaked this great product in to now include the 700 MHz band. You can find it on several sites but it is pricier than the earlier model that only includes 800 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.