Mobile scanner or radio for Greenvile PAL800

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

What is a reasonable price radio to use in the car? I used to listen to EMS/Fire dispatch on a ham radio before the big switch. My home radio is a RS PRO-197 and it works okay. Mobile use will bring up the simulcast problem.

rescuecomm

Answered my own question a little while ago? Going with an XTS2500 off of ebay after finding that a friend can program it for NAS. All I'll need is a battery of the correct sort for an existing charger. Hopefully for about $120.00 total outlay.

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
Hey Bob, just be aware of Page 7 of the Pal 8 handbook. Legal action can happen with a fake/stolen system Key.

I went with a Unication G5 years ago and never looked back. Up front cost is high, but the RX is worth it.

rescuecomm

The radio I ordered is not supposed to have a system key or any password protection in it. They originated at Lafayette parish and are on the bay. I'm retired now and would like a portable scanner sometimes. I just don't have a professional interest anymore. Anyway, my MIL had to go to the ER last Friday night and I got to sleep in the parking area due to Covid rules. Got to see a medical helo land and take off twice. It would be nice to hear some of the goings on with Greenville County Fire/EMS when I am out of the house. If I can get something monitoring for $125 I will happy. This will be NAS and no transmitting at all. My friend in Easley has one set up for Pickens County and he will be doing this one.

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
Bob,
To program the XTS series radio (any of them) for RX only, you will still need a system key or a fake (duplicated key). Both would be illegal in your situation. Your "friend" would have to use their real key or duplicated key to program the radio to listen to the system. Just food for thought.

rescuecomm

Why do you need a key for non- affiliated scanning? My take was that the radio is running like a conventional unit and receiving talkgroups on channels. Obviously you will miss conversations since it doesn't know where to go.

mlindler

Premium Subscriber
Bob: The key will tell the radio what system to listen too much like a scanner. Otherwise it does not know what system to monitor. Good Luck Sir. To be clear, you are asking questions that your friend should be able to answer. He/She knows a key will be needed and if they didn't advise that I would make sure and clearly ask that question. ALL the post above from me were merely educational, do as you please, just be aware of what you are getting into with a XTS radio monitoring a system.

rescuecomm

Copy. I will check to see what he doing to be sure.

After checking some stuff.. Damn, I guess that radio will go in the box with all the other Motorola radios I swore I'd never buy again. At least it was cheap. Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.