Mobile use in Ford Hybird

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrvan89

Looking at taking my test in 2 weeks. I have a question about mobile unit for 10 or 2 meters use. I read another place that it was best to connect to the battery rather than thru cig. lighter socket.

I have 2013 Ford C-Max hybird. My battery is in back along with my main hybird battery, only dummy post in engine compartment. Does anyone have experience with hybird and ham radio mobile?

Will I get interference more from the small gas engine if running, then when in ev electric vehicle mode?

Looking for someone with hybird that can help. Also will be looking for a rig in few weeks also, what units would work good thru 12v cig. plug.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I would start by asking your dealer's service manager to look at the Ford service bulletins related to two-way radios. I assume the car is under warranty. You might also ask on eham.net for ideas.

I can't recommend running anything but maybe an HT off the cigarette lighter plug. I can't think of a 10m radio small enough to install in a C-max, but there are a number of 2m or 2m/70cm radios that have remote heads. Lots of threads on RR on the choices. HTH.

Last edited:

mrvan89

Thanks Tom. Most likely wont be using during driving time, but maybe when out on vacation or out of town waiting for spouse when she has meetings. Maybe can find an area and set up for a few hours. I agree, no room for anything big.

Great little car, enjoy the 45 mpg.

n5ims

You may also want to check with a local two-way radio shop for specifics and estimates on having them install the radio (and antennas) for you. Originally there were warnings about installing a two way radio in a hybrid but with the taxis wanting to use the Ford Escape Hybrid as a standard vehicle, Ford quickly tested and approved them for use. The local radio shops have probably already done several and know the tricks to doing it correctly. They also have the pull with Ford on resolving any issues that may arise in trying to correctly do the installations.

In my Ford Escape Hybrid (2008 model), I have had no interference or other issues. Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to do a permanent installation due to garage clearance and spousal issues (mostly the later, I must admit). I do have a power cable made to pull power from the battery (mine's in the engine compartment) and use a mag-mount for the antenna as my trip installation. It's rather easy and quick to set up and take down. Once this vehicle transfers to me on a permanent basis (in other words, when she gets a new car), I plan to do the installation for good.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I had a used '53 Ford, new Fords starting with a '65 Mustang. Been with a particular local dealer since 1979 and they've been very good to me on sales and service over the years. Just a thought: another resource is the nearest Ford regional office if one is close to you (face-to-face is good). And you might look at the forums on the customer owner piece of the Ford web site. GL with the license. (I don't have any local radio install places, but an FT-8800R was pretty easy to put into my 2005 non-hybrid Escape...)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We have a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid and I've never had any issues with noise. Power the radios off the 12v starting battery. Run power directly from the battery, don't use any other tie in points. Ground the negative lead near the radio. Proper antenna installation and cable routing should prevent issues.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I use a Kenwood TM 707A with the transceiver under the front passenger seat and power run straight to the 12 volt battery in the trunk with no issues. Biggest problem was installing everything cause the cars are built really tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.