• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mobile VHF antenne (160-164 MHz)

Not open for further replies.


Feb 2, 2017

I'm new to this forum so far, but I have visited the threads a couple of times now. I live in Europe.

Now I have a question regarding the search for a good antenna.
I need an antenna with magnet mount to work on 160 and 164 MHz with a Baofeng UV-5r. The antenna will not be mounted permanently, because I only need every weekend.
To make myself clear: I am licensed to use that frequencies for sport events.

I have looked at the Nagoya UT-108 and others, but they are all for 144 and 430 MHz. But I am looking in that price range of 10-20 dollar.

Can somebody help me find a good antenna for that frequency with a 5 watt portable?

Thanks in advance!
Best regards, Jeff


Premium Subscriber
Dec 1, 2015
Woodlands, Manitoba
If you can bump your budget up a bit, I'd go with something like this: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/tram-1154-3846.html You would need to 'tune' it to your desired transmit frequency. (But this is the case with all commercial antennas).

Since you're in Europe, I can't suggest where to purchase one. I don't know if The antenna farm will ship. But, you might want to Google for Tram antennas and see if they sell them in your country.


I ♥ Ø
Jul 27, 2005
I am a lineman for the county.
$10 - $20 will get you the antenna you'll need, but not the mount.

You'll need to increase your budget a bit.

What are you going to mount the antenna to? Are you looking for a magnetic mount for a temporary vehicle installation, something for a fixed location, or something else.
The antenna is the easy part. Mounting it is harder.

Any basic 1/4 wave antenna will work. As JWT said, you'll need to trim the antenna for the frequencies you want to use. The commercial antennas come with a cutting chart that will give you the measurements you need to get relatively close. You can easily get a simple 1/4 wave antenna for about $10 US Dollars.

If you want to go with a higher gain antenna, you'd need to tell us something about the license you have and how much ERP (Effective Radiated Power) it authorizes. Adding gain antennas to a radio will increase the ERP and can cause you to operate outside the limits of your license.


Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Jul 13, 2013
I live in Europe.
with a Baofeng UV-5r.
I am licensed to use that frequencies for sport events.
I am live in Europe to. In which country do you life?
So your Company have a Licence but what kind of?

In Austria you have 2 ways:
1) pay per Radio (cost ~15€/ Month/ Radio)
2) pay per Frequency (cost ~600€/ Month)

Ok lets say your Company have a licence for the hole Freq. I cant belive that your Radio are licence to?
I see in the USA the Radios get a "General Licence" from the FCC but here in Europe its different.

You need a Certificate from the Company who build the Radio and your Radio must also be test be the local Authority. You cant buy an Radio from the Web and use it legally!!!!

But I am looking in that price range of 10-20 dollar.

When you say where you are from maybe I know some Shops.
Not open for further replies.