Mobile vs. Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfrancis16

I have a question about the setup in my truck. As of now I have a BC346xt mounted in my truck. I have it connected to a "through the glass" type antenna. My question is would installing a base type scanner such as a BCT15X do anything for the reception? If a portable scanner and a mobile scanner were hooked up to the same antenna would there be any difference in reception?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
My experience has been that if you try using one antenna to feed two scanners, the reception on both is rotten.

They make things called "multicouplers" which allow you to use one antenna to feed multiple scanners. However they are costly and you can purchase numerous mobile antennas for the price of a multicoupler.

wfrancis16

I think I worded my original post incorrectly. I don't want to split one antenna between two scanners. I was wondering if I replaced the portable that I have in my truck now with a mobile would that alone result in better reception.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe there is much, if any, difference in reception sensitivity between a portable and mobile scanner.

Unless you are already using an amplified speaker, you probably will notice an improvement in audio volume with a mobile scanner. Then there's the concern with a portable scanner tempting thieves where a mounted scanner would take a little more effort to steal.

If "getting all the reception you can" is a factor, you might think about a different antenna. The "through glass" antennas are better than nothing. An NMO on your vehicle roof is the best possible.

I'm dealing with a garage door clearance issue and I didn't want to drill a hole in a new truck. So I got a vehicle specific NMO antenna bracket which fastened to a fender of my truck. I'm pleased with the results.

wfrancis16

I don't believe there is much, if any, difference in reception sensitivity between a portable and mobile scanner.

Unless you are already using an amplified speaker, you probably will notice an improvement in audio volume with a mobile scanner. Then there's the concern with a portable scanner tempting thieves where a mounted scanner would take a little more effort to steal.

If "getting all the reception you can" is a factor, you might think about a different antenna. The "through glass" antennas are better than nothing. An NMO on your vehicle roof is the best possible.

I'm dealing with a garage door clearance issue and I didn't want to drill a hole in a new truck. So I got a vehicle specific NMO antenna bracket which fastened to a fender of my truck. I'm pleased with the results.

Would you mind sending me a link to the bracket that you are using? I stated looking at the "trunk lip" mounts but I am not sure which one to go with.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I think I worded my original post incorrectly. I don't want to split one antenna between two scanners. I was wondering if I replaced the portable that I have in my truck now with a mobile would that alone result in better reception.

If a portable scanner and a mobile scanner were hooked up to the same antenna would there be any difference in reception?

Hmmmmm.

DPD1

Really, the only difference between handheld and mobile, is that you'll typically have better and louder audio in a mobile, and you don't have to deal with battery issues. The better audio can be a big help hearing stuff in a noisy car, but not in terms of reception. As mentioned... You can get mounts that flip down... and I would just get an antenna that focuses on what you have the hardest time picking up. The strong stuff will come in on just about anything. So for instance... If you have a hard time with VHF but 800 comes in strong. Just get an antenna for VHF and the 800 will still come in fine. People assume you have to have an antenna that technically says it is for each band you want to hear, but that's not really the case. But the 'through glass' types aren't really going to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.