• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moble instillation sugguestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemantincan

HI all, I'm looking to install a Yaesu FT 857D, CB, and a digital scanner in my car. does anyone have any suggestions for antennas, feed lines, power supply, ect. I want to be able to transmit HF with the FT 857.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
HI all, I'm looking to install a Yaesu FT 857D

Probably one of the screwdriver type antennas is your best all around option if you want to get the most out of the radio on the HF side + 6 meters.

As for the 2 meter/70 centimeter side, I've never had any issues with the Larsen brand antennas. Commercial grade stuff that'll easily outlast the amateur/consumer grade stuff. Specifically look at the Larsen NMO-2/70 line.

Larsen NMO-27. See above.

and a digital scanner

Larsen NMO-150-450-800. Good all around scanner antenna, unless you need low band. Plus, it'll match the style of the CB and dual band antennas.

in my car. does anyone have any suggestions for antennas, feed lines, power supply, ect. I want to be able to transmit HF with the FT 857.

Go with name brand NMO mounts. Permanent mount or go home. Drill the hole if you want it to work well and look professional. If you want to look like an amateur, go with mag mounts.

Stick with the commercial brands, not the Chinese made stuff, Tram, Browning, etc.

As for power, run ALL the power directly off the battery. Do NOT tap into existing wiring for anything other than ignition sense lines. For the number of radios you are going to install, and the current consumption of the 857, run a large gauge cable from the battery to where your radios will be installed. 6 gauge would be a good size. Fuse at the battery. Install a fused distribution block at the radios and connect your power there.

Again, don't use existing wiring unless you want noise and interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.