• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MODAT ID questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxMcCloud

My XTS3000 has MODAT on it, while there is no practical purpose for having it on a radio, I would like to learn more about it. There is one thing I don't quite understand, the data burst is 7 digits, but I can only manipulate 4 digits. I have about 80 conventional personalities and ID does not sound any different between each personalty, so I don't know how you could determine who you are talking to like the Wiki says. It does sound different when emergency mode is enabled, but that is the only thing I have gotten it to change it with.

And what order does the radio push it out in? Unit ID first or last? X=defined unit ID Y=?
Like this? XXXXYYY
or this YYYXXXX

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
MODAT was not intended for you to decode by ear, it was intended to be decoded by a decoder device on the far end, or in the radio.

I do believe it was Fleet ID first and Unit ID last.

There may be some guys here that actually worked with it that can correct me if I'm wrong on the format.

jruta

I used to have an Astro saber that a fellow bat lab member repaired for me many years ago that had MODAT, unfortunately I don’t remember the flash code or firmware BUT the audio was crystal clear. Yes I’ve heard it can muffle audio.

N4KVE

The problem with Modat is one freq in the radio has to have it enabled. Years ago I tried to program an Astro Saber with that flash code. I could not write to the radio until I put a dummy freq I’d never use where Modat was enabled. I buried that freq in the last zone that I rarely used. Only then was I able to write to the radio.

FoxMcCloud

Let me guess. Flash code 591008-4F1E00-9, or something similar?
100001-080000-9

I used to have an Astro saber that a fellow bat lab member repaired for me many years ago that had MODAT, unfortunately I don’t remember the flash code or firmware BUT the audio was crystal clear. Yes I’ve heard it can muffle audio.
The audio is clear on my radio, sounds just as good as my HT1250's

The problem with Modat is one freq in the radio has to have it enabled. Years ago I tried to program an Astro Saber with that flash code. I could not write to the radio until I put a dummy freq I’d never use where Modat was enabled. I buried that freq in the last zone that I rarely used. Only then was I able to write to the radio.
Ah yes, MODAT disease. As soon as you click on MODAT in CPS, it will force you to assign a emergency revert to a channel that has MODAT turned on. Oddly enough if you never click on MODAT, it will not bother you.

MODAT was not intended for you to decode by ear, it was intended to be decoded by a decoder device on the far end, or in the radio.

I do believe it was Fleet ID first and Unit ID last.

There may be some guys here that actually worked with it that can correct me if I'm wrong on the format.
While it's no possible to decode it, you can tell if the ID has changed. Is the fleet ID something you can change? There does not appear to be a Fleet ID option in MODAT, if it's somewhere else.

jruta

Off topic modat question, I VAGUELY recall our medic units old modat system but if Memory serves corrrect; you pushed a status button to dispatch and heard it echo back? Is this right?

a417

U+0000
Doesn't adding other crap to the radio make it sound muffled with MODAT? What else can you add to the XTS3K that would actually work with 403-470?

what do you need to add to your XTS3K that won't make it act funny?

FTFY.

FoxMcCloud

what do you need to add to your XTS3K that won't make it act funny?

FTFY.
Need? nothing, but we all have things we don't need but want. My question is what is there that can be added that would be practical to have in the 403-470 band that would also not affect the performance of the radio with MODAT. I have looked through this tool that may or may not exist and didn't see anything I really wanted or seemed to be a useful feature with my radio's band.

Answer the question or move along

Last edited:

FoxMcCloud

“Answer the question or move along”

ouch.
Directed at a417. Somehow he has posted 3 comments but said nothing of value. He can be a windbag somewhere else. Everyone else here has been plenty helpful, and I appreciate that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have looked through this tool that may or may not exist and didn't see anything I really wanted or seemed to be a useful feature with my radio's band.

Well, that's sort of like window shopping but not buying anything. It's fun to look.

Analog UHF, CTCSS, DCS, maybe MDC1200 if you listen to an agency that uses that.
Other than those, if you don't require anything else, what's the point? If you may have access to the software that must not be named, then you can always change it later. MODAT apparently screws things up, so leave that out. Never used it myself, so….

Answer the question or move along

It's a public forum, anyone who signs up can read and comment. If you ask for input on a public forum, you are going to get replies, some you may like, some you may not. It's usually best to just ignore things and move on.

FoxMcCloud

Well, that's sort of like window shopping but not buying anything. It's fun to look.

Analog UHF, CTCSS, DCS, maybe MDC1200 if you listen to an agency that uses that.
Other than those, if you don't require anything else, what's the point? If you may have access to the software that must not be named, then you can always change it later. MODAT apparently screws things up, so leave that out. Never used it myself, so….

It's a public forum, anyone who signs up can read and comment. If you ask for input on a public forum, you are going to get replies, some you may like, some you may not. It's usually best to just ignore things and move on.
Yep, I got MDC-1200 and the CTCSS and DCS operation. Even though it's useless, MODAT will just stay on it because there really is no inconvenience for having on the radio, for me at least. Since you can just opt to not have it enabled on the personality.

I have no problems with comments that may not be in scope, but snide and irrelevant comments have no place on a community forum; and I believe the moderators will agree

mikegilbert

MHz so good
MODAT uses 7 tones, but only has 4 digit IDs.

1 tone indicates routine or emergency traffic
2 tones indicate status (not used in portables)
4 tones indicate unit ID

The CPS only allows one MODAT ID per radio, so there's no reason it would sound different on different personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.