mode question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

hello while limit searching on the gre-500 say 150-170 range while its scanning . if i have the scanner set to auto and it stops on a frequencie and it shows fm, how can you tell if this is fm, or nfm. what is the diffrence.as far as this how about any range how can you tell it just shows it as fm. how do you determin what this is fm or nfm. next thing is if i go to enter some new conv frequencies in a new system and i enter them as fm and there really nfm will these frequencies still be heard. can someone shed some lite on this for me just a tad confused?? thanks in advance for youre help.

fineshot1

frank125 said:
hello while limit searching on the gre-500 say 150-170 range while its scanning . if i have the scanner set to auto and it stops on a frequencie and it shows fm, how can you tell if this is fm, or nfm..
This can be confusing. Your best bet is to do a fcc db search on the frequency found to determine for sure whether its just FM or NFM. Sometimes you can tell by listening if your in FM mode and the audio level sounds very low, that could be an indicator that its NFM.

frank125 said:
what is the diffrence.as far as this how about any range how can you tell it just shows it as fm. how do you determin what this is fm or nfm. .
Different frequency ranges have different channel spacing. Channel spacing can be a dead giveaway as far as an indication whether it could be FM or NFM. You need to become more familar with that and only time and experience will help you with that. There are some frequency spectrum lists on the web that may help out with being able to help determine that info. You may have to do some google searching on that.

frank125 said:
next thing is if i go to enter some new conv frequencies in a new system and i enter them as fm and there really nfm will these frequencies still be heard. can someone shed some lite on this for me just a tad confused?? thanks in advance for youre help.
If you enter them as FM and they are actually NFM yes you can still hear them but the audio level will be noticably lower than normal. If you enter them as NFM and they are actually FM you again will still hear them but it may sound distorted or slightly garbled.

Hope that helps you....

Status
Not open for further replies.