Mode-S Beast vs. RPi4 + Dump1090 + Planeplotter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Hey Everybody. I am contemplating a project and am looking for thoughts, opinions and such.

I currently run PlanePlotter with a Mode-S Beast. I also use a Raspberry Pi 3B+ to run ACARSDec and DumpVDL2 off and on along with VirtualRadarServer to feed to ADSBExchange, Live-military-mode-s and thebaldgeek.net.

I am currently experiencing a possible networking issues where planeplotter shuts down randomly. I sit down in front of my PC and find that PP has closed at some point. Not a huge deal-breaker at the moment.
I haven't looked into it much as of yet

With the release of the RPi 4, I am thinking about changing my setup. I am thinking that with the Pi, I can ideally run PP, ACARSDec, DumpVDL2 as well as HFDL and maybe airband audio on one or two devices.

I have worked with RPI's a bit. Not exactly a Linux wizard, however, so I am not sure if this can be done cleanly.

My biggest question is whether it would be advantageous for me to stick with the Beast or give Dump1090 a try. I don't want to sacrifice performance. The Beast is a little long in the tooth, so Dump1090/Pi4 may be comparable.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would look at ModeSDeco2 and ModeSMixer2

ModeSDeco2 – xDeco.org
ModeSMixer2 – xDeco.org
Tutorial on Combining and Rebroadcasting ADS-B Feeds with ModeSMixer2

I've had really good experience with this setup on the Raspberry Pi.

However, the best setup I've had is using Flight Aware's piaware coupled with ModeSMixer2. Flight Aware's fork of dump1090 seems to give the best performance, and you get the added benefit of Flight Aware's mlat results. You can then send all your own decoded stuff to multiple providers using ModeSMixer2 (except Flight Aware's mlat results which is against the TOS).

Status
Not open for further replies.