Moderators letting there job go to there heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio1114

Gee this is getting crazy. I list one thing for sale.I get a negative comment from another member. So I do what Lindsay told me to do in the past and report it to moderator as which rule it was under. I never hear from a moderator so I said on the board please read the rules and the bang Loumag the mod comes on right away and slams me for saying that.Then he says there is a rule not to try and police or moderate yourself. If I had of got a response from a moderator in the first place I would not of had to put responce on the ad defending m,yself. This has not been the first time a mod has jumped on me for defending myself.Then he closes my thread.I know you are a mod Loumag but there are easier ways to let the person know like PM ing or emailing them.I am a mod on other sites also and I think you are just picking on me because of that.And Now Lindsay will agree with you like he usually does which is understandable because he looks after his mods.I just feel I was traeated wrong here do what ever you want, I am kind of getting fed up anyway.Thanks

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey I hear you Wilf,

I too am an administrator and moderator at other sites and I understand your frustration. I have no problem with enforcement of site rules....that's why they're there. But the enforcement should be consistant and fair. If somebody is starting trouble, they should be the one punished and no one else.

There is a yahoo group for the FreeCycle National Organization in my local area. FreeCycle is an outfit dedicated in hooking folks up on the local level to give good, useable household items ect...away to others who can use them rather than seeing them get thrown away and just filling up the landfill. Well the local owner-moderator of the group is a real net nazi with 10,000 rules and the strictest enforcement you've ever seen. It made the participation there so unpleasant that I decided to vote with my feet and leave.

All such groups face the same predicament if they do not run a fair ship. And it doesn't matter if the site is "free". If someone is claiming that they are going to provide such and such service....then they need to provide that service.

SCPD

QRT
I think you just might be correct Wilf. Perhaps you shouldn't have posted the exact wording of the rule. However, I kind of thought it was a lot kinder and non-confrontational than it could have been--which is what I thought the rule for not trying to play mod was--to prevent the nastiness that has been witnessed on the boards quite frequently. I don't see why it was closed but then, I'm not a mod just a user with an opinion.

Hope it works out.

JnglMassiv

Wilf11 said:
If I had of got a response from a moderator in the first place I would not of had to put responce on the ad defending m,yself.
It wasn't even a half hour between the inappropriate comment and your post police comment. How fast of a responce [sic] did you really expect?

Furthermore, now that the thread is closed, you can wait for those PMs and emails to start rolling in with offers. You won't feel compelled to check the thread every few minutes. Not to mention that, all things equal, locked for sale threads generate more views. I'd say you owe Lou a big 'Thank You' for freeing up a bunch of your time.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Not that i will defend the Mods on this board as at times they do come across as God and i have pointed that out to Lindsay... Having said that Wilf, you seem to stick your nose where it doesn't belong so your just as guilty of doing this.. So you may feel your a victim. You should read the rules, as I remember you and Bluesman905 sticking your nose in my business when i got sold a dead radio and you guys didn't know the whole story... I don't feel its right that that person posted that your prices where to high even if they are.

TO Moderators and Lindsay
Maybe it should be made so that you can post your item on the board and the thread is closed except the person selling the item can post or edit it...Bottom line their is no need for us to post anything in the For Sale area other then our ad.. All communications should be done either via email or PM. Their should be NO replies allowed in the For Sale or Wanted Forum.. IMHO Thats my 2 cents.....

May the pissing contest contunie... :)

STiMULi

Chrome69 said:
Maybe it should be made so that you can post your item on the board and the thread is closed except the person selling the item can post or edit it...Bottom line their is no need for us to post anything in the For Sale area other then our ad.. All communications should be done either via email or PM. Their should be NO replies allowed in the For Sale or Wanted Forum.. IMHO Thats my 2 cents.....

May the pissing contest contunie... :)

Good idea. That would eliminate the bumps and so on. Treat it as a classified ad in the paper. Once you put it out there for others to read it is a done deed. If you word it properly you will avoid most questions and those that need to be asked can be done using the PM process.

As far as closing it that would just add more work to the MODS because users can not close their own threads.

I guess the For Sale forum rules need to be updated anyway then. There is one I haven't seen yet :)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cry me a farking river people... why is it the same people are just looking for reasons to critsize the moderators, process, actions, software, how it is setup, why isn't it this way, why can't I... waaa waaa waaa!

Seriously, it is like 10 or so people out of the 80,000 members here who constantly complain about everything!

People, if you can't work in and out of the for sale forum without hassles, then stay out of them. I'm not implementing a bunch of add ons to the forum software to tame and maintain stupidiy and hot egos!

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay,

I want to say this in the nicest way possible, and mean no disrespect....Loumagg needs to have an attitude ajustment. I dont know what it will take, but there are a LOT of people out here that have an issue with him. I totally respect the moderators, but I feel that lou needs to be pulled.

There may only be 10 out of 80,000 complaining, but what about the folks that dont want to complain? Most keep quiet because there is a "FEAR" of being jumped on and or removed from the group.

I enjoy my time here, but to be honest, I dont spend anywhere near the time here that I use to simply because of the big head all the moderators have. I would *sugguest* that a meeting of the minds happen and all the moderators get on one page with you and seriously moderate appropriatly.

I appreciate all the new bells and whistles you have added(not to mention all the hard work), but the moderator team really needs to be looked at.

Thanks Lindsay and keep up the good work

Eric

garys

Premium Subscriber
Every board has at least one moderator that takes him or her self too seriously. The board owner should be aware of the possibility and keep an eye on the moderators' activities. I know that this board and site are too big for one person to control. In fact, most are. However, like most other boards this one seems to have too many moderators. Maybe each forum should have only one moderator and not a bunch of them jumping in at random.

Gary

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Wilf11 said:
I never hear from a moderator so I said on the board please read the rules
You should have been more patient. When I checked the thread you had already responded to it in an attempt to control it. I wasn't going to post up and say, "uh, yeah, what he said" because you had chosen to take care of it yourself.

And it was Saturday; we don't sit around waiting for thread reports. Give us some time folks.

-Wayne

16b

Premium Subscriber
SEMTTP said:
Lindsay,

I want to say this in the nicest way possible, and mean no disrespect....Loumagg needs to have an attitude ajustment.
I have to agree 100%.

I usually stay out of this sort of stuff purposefully (it's just a web site after all), but I was just thinking the same thing that SEMTTP said.

I don't have a beef with this Lou dude (never even talked to him), but I must agree with the attitude adjustment thing.

I'm not trying to bash anybody, so don't give us any lectures please.

-16b

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
SEMTTP said:
I enjoy my time here, but to be honest, I dont spend anywhere near the time here that I use to simply because of the big head all the moderators have.
Eric

Thanks for painting all of the moderators with the same brush :roll: :cool:
But I will back up my fellow moderators any day of the week...Lindsay considers
each moderator choice carefully and for all of the volunteer time & effort we put in trying
to keep the forums sane you are never going to make everyone happy...are we perfect? no but we do the best we can with each situation that comes up...
We do thank each and every RR.com member that makes a positive contribution!
Marshall KE4ZNR

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

This is common in any situation and community where there are people in charge and stuff to be managed. The problem is, even when someone is in the wrong - people HATE to be corrected, told they aren't following the rules, or in these cases "moderated." Too bad, I can't help it that there are egos out there that just can't stand to be bruised.

We (being myself and the moderators) cannot be perfect, and we certainly cannot make everyone happy. Some moderators come across more even handed then others - some moderators tell it like it is without any fluff. Such is the life of online forums.

Everyone, I want to make this perfectly clear, Lou Maag, 99% of the time, is right on target and does his job as a selected moderator in the way that I expect. He may not bow down and kiss your toes before he moderates... and for many, that pisses them off.

If you look at what started this thread, and 99% of the other issues that people have with Lou, you will see that someone clearly needed to be moderated, that was done, and then the complaining and whining started.

No one has ever been banned or removed from these forums without serious cause. I actively watch each moderators actions, counsel them at times, and agree with 99% of their actions. I take action on the 1%.

I welcome everyone's oppinon - however if you don't like the job that one moderator is doing around here, then I suggest you not participate in these forums, because it means that you can't follow the rules and authority is an issue for you.

And if you don't like the heat, then don't draw attention to yourself that would cause the moderators to drag you into a hot kitchen. It is that simple, check your egos at the door here in the forums, participate in the "spirit" of what these forums were intended to provide, and everything will be fine.

Finally, I'll work with Lou on his "delivery" of some of his moderation actions, however I still support him 100%.

Radio1114

Actually I should have said it a little better in my explanation.The moderators do a great job except the one that this has to do with LouMaag.I am not complainiong about all moderators just the one in this case.I will not say anymore on this topic the Boss has spoken.Thanks everyone.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Moderating can be very frustrating sometimes so it can be difficult to maintain a smile and a therapist's voice.

I know I've been guilty of not being sweet and kind but I'm making it a point in the future to be more patient. Sometimes members can be like children and we know how much patience children need. Folks, ya got to give us a break once and a while; sometimes you aren't aware of what we're dealing with.

-Wayne

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
And some of the members are children, which demands some patience as well :)

Folks, one other things to remember is that Lou is by far one of the more active moderators, and as such makes himself a lightning rod for critics.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Lindsay and other mods....

My appologies, I did not mean to include ALL mods as I personally have not had an issue with all of them, I appoligize.

Lindsay, you are absolutly correct and the last thing you said about counsiling him in your way and time is all we can ask for! Thanks!

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i was a mod on another board before joining this one. I gave up that position due to medical reasons, to someone I knew would do a great job at it and things worked out great. unfortunately, someone who was quite childish started playing some real bad games on the board, from just talking crap to eventually beaing codes, etc and crashing the board several times. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the situation. my only complaint is that due to one individuals actions a very valuable resource has been lost. I'm very disappointed for that and I hope that never happens here on rr.com.

maalox

hi... i think we should have a members survey to rate the performance of the moderators jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.