Modern Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badspell68

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting a scanner to listen to local Police, Fire, emergency broadcasts, airplanes and other scanner traffic. Is there any difference in the number of frequencies or more commonly used frequencies in modern scanners that do not exist on old scanners? Can I simply pick up an old scanner and hear all that I'm interested in? What would the best old and new be for a beginner?

dmg1969

The only way to know is for us to tell you where you are (State and County) and what systems or towns you want to listen to. Once we know that, we can help you. More and more systems are going to digital and older scanners are incapable of monitoring those systems.

Hello all,

I'm interested in getting a scanner to listen to local Police, Fire, emergency broadcasts, airplanes and other scanner traffic. Is there any difference in the number of frequencies or more commonly used frequencies in modern scanners that do not exist on old scanners? Can I simply pick up an old scanner and hear all that I'm interested in? What would the best old and new be for a beginner?

badspell68

I'm in New Hope Pa, Bucks County, Solebury Township. I'm interested in listening to the towns of: New Hope, Lahaska and Doyelstown.

What is decent reasonably priced and low priced digital scanner that can listen to all the frequencies including old analog ones?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
There are several differences between modern and "old" scanners. Some are more important than others, and you'll have to evaluate the usefulness to your particular case.

Old scanners displayed only channel numbers or frequencies. Modern scanners will also display alphanumeric information including channel designation (such as Fire Dispatch).

Most old scanners had 50-100 channels, and had to be hand programmed. Modern scanners have hundreds (or more) channels and can be programmed either by hand, by linking with a computer or database such as the RR database here, or have preprogrammed channel banks.

Old scanners were analog FM and maybe am for aircraft and couldn't receive PL tones. Some modern scanners offer P-25 digital as well as conventional analog reception and can receive PL and DPL tones as well as track certain types of trunked radio systems.

Older scanners had more limited frequency ranges and channel spacing options. Newer scanners can usually monitor the 700 MHz band, rebanded 800 MHz, military aircraft and 1.2 GHz amateur bands.

Most newer scanners are physically smaller than their older predecessors.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Badspell, there is a forum here for Pennsylvania members. Perhaps it would be best to post your question there? I am sure there a lot of Philadelphia area listeners there and they'd have expertise as to the types of systems in your area as well as recommendations. Just make sure you tell them your location and what you are interested in. Baclk in the 90's I used to fly into Philly a lot (Bucks County in fact) and I'd bring my BC-100 handheld to listen to local police and Willow Grove traffic. Lots going on! I know it has changed considerably ( the systems that is) and you'll need local input. Good luck and welcome!

dmg1969

I'm in New Hope Pa, Bucks County, Solebury Township. I'm interested in listening to the towns of: New Hope, Lahaska and Doyelstown.

What is decent reasonably priced and low priced digital scanner that can listen to all the frequencies including old analog ones?

Here is a link to the RadioReference database page on Bucks County. It looks like your county runs a Motorola Type II SmartZone trunked radio system.

Bucks County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

You will need a digital trunking scanner. I am not sure if all digital scanners will pick up that type of system. I would assume so. I think the HomePatrol may. Maybe some others will chime in with recommendations.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Home patrol is made by Uniden, it is one of their models. I'm in doylestown and would be happy to help you get started. PM me if you'd like. There are 2 brands and several models by each manufacturer that are capable of receiving the Bucks County system.

Have fun

MBill

Premium Subscriber
Also check out phillyscanner.com it also has a large frequency list for the Philadelphia area.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I recommend the BCD396XT over the Home Patrol and the newer scanners. Look into getting that model before it's gone.

BCD396XT.1.jpg

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
The elephant in the living room is the lack of P2.

If you don't need that then it's probably a great idea,

Problem is, the longer you wait the closer that P2 encroaches.

krd400

Here is a link to the RadioReference database page on Bucks County. It looks like your county runs a Motorola Type II SmartZone trunked radio system.

Bucks County, Pennsylvania (PA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

You will need a digital trunking scanner. I am not sure if all digital scanners will pick up that type of system. I would assume so. I think the HomePatrol may. Maybe some others will chime in with recommendations.

All digital scanners should work fine. I live in a county that uses the same kind of radio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.