Modesto

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. What city do you live in? This will give us an idea if receiving Modesto signals is a possibility.
2. What are you trying to monitor in Modesto, PD, Fire, something else?
3. What kind of antenna do you have and where is it located?
4. What kind of receiver or scanner do you have?

P.S. Yeah, Modesto is dead. Just blink and keep driving on 99. ;)

I live in the Latrobe area with a good view of the valley all the way to Diablo. I am trying to monitor PD I am using a remtronix antenna on both a Uniden 436 and 100 two different antennas

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Well, you're about 65 miles north of your target and you may have some terrain in the way. You're also using a stubby antenna. You noted you can receive Ripon, but I am unsure of what you're receiving for Ripon and where that particular transmitter may be.

Focusing back on Modesto PD, were you able to hear them before? I wonder if their PD went full encryption. I am about 100 miles away and do not monitor that area. @gmclam I know there are others on this forum that are in that area, so perhaps they will chime in if they monitor Modesto PD.

Last edited:

Kscan

Premium Subscriber
Mastercylinder, if you wanted to listen to Modesto PD, I think you are too far out of range. The data base shows Modesto PD moved to a trunked 800 MHz system with a range of 33 miles. You would have to be as close as Stockton to listen to that system.

Yes this is what I was thinking also, although Im 1200 feet above Modesto
I ordered a cheap yagi 12db for Sacramento missing every other word on this system until the radio runs for 15min then it settles down
my rssi is about 75 to 100 error can go as high as 100 question is why do the other cities do much better using the same system

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I can get stockton, lodi, tracy, ripon great but modesto is dead am I missing something
All the locations you listed are conventional ~460MHz UHF. I wonder if you can receive Stanislaus Sheriff on that band? Interestingly I am more likely to receive Stanislaus Sheriff conventional than I am UHF in San Joaquin County from the Sacramento area. I have never been able to receive the Stanislaus 911 trunked system, which is on 800MHz, from here. I'm not sure what it would take or how close you have to be. Altitude certainly gets you past one aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.