Modification of a Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

A Ham radio modified to transmit out-of-band, wouldn't be legal.
If it had been a commercial radio programmed (NOT modified) to transmit in the Ham band, then it would be legal for a ARS-licensed PD employee to get paid during a training exercise.

k3csa

To ALL,

This post will NOT be "news" to us "old hams" but it MAY be to new hams: It is LAWFUL to allow NON-licensed persons to use your ham radio on ham frequencies at ANY time, provided that you are PRESENT & are able to monitor their use.
(It's popularly called "3rd party traffic". - Virtually all of our Lions Club's Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Explorers have at one time or other talked on my equipment. - Our Lion's Club sponsors those packs, troops & posts.)

Also, Riley Hollingsworth (before his retirement from the FCC) told me personally that using ham radios for otherwise lawful STATE MILITIA communications was PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE, provided that those "militia drills" were in support of our volunteer StormWatch and/or disaster communications operations/missions AND that nobody was PROFITING financially by such usage.

73 de K3CSA

Status
Not open for further replies.