Modify the backlighting on BC785D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john98225

Has anyone the mod "know-how" on making the LED backlighting even dimmer than the "dim" setting? I have the scanner installed in my truck and sometimes at nights, it's just too bright.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
What about plastic over the screen? Like a palm style screen protector? May only dim it a minimal amount though and not a real "mod"

john98225

Thanks for the suggestion, torontokris, but the area I'd like to dim most is the backlighting of all the clear buttons on the face. Actually, I just ordered a 996XT and this 785D will going up on eBay pretty soon and HOLY #$*! ... from your signature you have A LOT of scanners and radios!

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
really the 785 is not that bright. at least till you've seen my Yeasu 2800m 2meter ham radio. that display is twice as bright as the 785. makes my 785 look like its on dim even though it's on bright.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
If you still have plans to keep the 785 for any reason, it shouldn't be too hard to get inside and find where the ground for the backlighting is and put a small resistor in-line to limit the current through the lights.

john98225

Thanks for the replys. If I knew exactly what I was doing, I may try to open it up and insert a resistor into the circuit. My assumption is that there are a number of LEDs in there, lighting the keys and display, and all are probably soldiered to a PC board (with a common ground). Again, I'd be up to the mod if someone could help me know exactly where to insert the resistor.

(It's great that today's LEDs can work within a much broader voltage range than the older generations did, allowing them to burn from really dim to really bright.)

Status
Not open for further replies.