Modifying a Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

echo4929

Hello, I just purchased a Yaesu VX-6R radio and I read online that:

"Radio can be modified for MARS/CAP 40 - 229.975 & 300 - 579.975 MHz Transmit operation"

How would I do that?

Thanks!

D

DaveNF2G

"echo..." - Are you a licensed ham operator? Your questions so far indicate that you are unfamiliar with either the technical details or the rules & regs of the hobby.

There is no need to "modify" a transceiver for CAP or MARS operation unless you are a member of one of those services. Unauthorized transmissions on military frequencies will land you in a heap more of trouble than transmitting on ham frequencies without a license.

n2mdk

Modification really isn't needed for your purposes, don't fall into that "trap" of if it can do it why not do it.
I also think you made a wise buy the VX-6 is a nice little radio that I know you will be happy with.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
when i first joined MARS i modified my 2mtr/440 mobile transciever so I could use the 148 MARS repeater. I noticed that it ruined the selectivity of my radio and picked up nothing but intermod in downtown areas. We used the repeater so rately, that the ham radios I have bought since then, I have not modified any of them because of the intermod problem. Each action does have an opposite reaction.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Also, both MARS and CAP now prohibit use of 'modified' ham gear. They require proper commercial or military supplied radios now.

mlconnell

Nice Radio. Nice decision for your first rig. Dont modify it. If you really needed to do it I would suggest you take it to a qualified technician to perform the mod. Not saying that you can't do it, but you need a little more experience at it and it's not worth destroying your radio. Be safe and happy hamming.

n8emr

SkipSanders said:
Also, both MARS and CAP now prohibit use of 'modified' ham gear. They require proper commercial or military supplied radios now.

I know CAP had an approved list and MARS was going to move but did MARS finally make the narrow band requirement for VHF and UHF?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Just don't. From your previous posts I've gathered that:

a. You're unlicensed.
b. You're like, 13 or 14.

This is such a bad idea that you need to just drop it. Someone your age has no business with a radio capable of transmitting outside of a ham band.

dkostrey

One thing to remember ... Commercial to ham - fine and dandy. Ham to commercial - $$$fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.