Modifying a RS Pro96.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I've seen a couple of links on this site that suggest a Pro96 might be modifiable, I'm not sure what these links are refering to when they say "base band audio", does anyone in here know more about this ??

See the links below :

Pro 93/95/96 Tap - The RadioReference Wiki

Image:pro95TapPt.jpg - The RadioReference Wiki

My Pro96 is sitting here mostly silent compared to my BCD396T, I'm hoping maybe there are some changes that can be made to gain some overall performance, any information or links to more topics would be great. Thanks in advance.

kilowa22

The modification being discussed is a Discriminator tap to decode digital signals from trunked radio system control channels using software like Unitrunker or Trunk88.

N8IAA

Or, you could run Pro96com with the 96. It still can be done with the older serial cable, or the USB cable. This way you can look for new TGID's without tying up your main scanner.
Larry

jamesa53

My Pro96 is sitting here mostly silent compared to my BCD396T, I'm hoping maybe there are some changes that can be made to gain some overall performance, any information or links to more topics would be great. Thanks in advance.

I still think you have other programming issues with your scanner if your 96 is silent compared to your 396 (not to hijack). Also if its silent now running it with control channel decoding software (Pro96com) you most likely will not get any data from your control channels either. Also Pro96com only supports 9600 baud control channel Motorola trunked systems. Dont know if your system in Halifax is one of those or not.

scnnr

Or, you could run Pro96com with the 96. It still can be done with the older serial cable, or the USB cable. This way you can look for new TGID's without tying up your main scanner.
Larry

Unfortunately pro 96 com won't work with that Province-Wide, NS NB system as it is Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink mixed analog & Digital 3600 baud.

anyone know of any other mod's that can be done to a PRO96? maybe a better internal antenna, or something to improve it's overall performance??

Jamesa, I've had a couple other folks try out my exact configuration, and they had no problem with it..so I'm not sure whats up...some have said the PRO96 wont get digital on our network here, but mine seems to get the digital TGs, just not complete transmissions..so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything.

scnnr

anyone know of any other mod's that can be done to a PRO96? maybe a better internal antenna, or something to improve it's overall performance??

Jamesa, I've had a couple other folks try out my exact configuration, and they had no problem with it..so I'm not sure whats up...some have said the PRO96 wont get digital on our network here, but mine seems to get the digital TGs, just not complete transmissions..so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anything.

Did you try that last DSP 1.4 upgrade?

Sorry you are having issues with the pro 96. MIne follows our system here and the RCMP Digital TG's with no problem at all.

jamesa53

Yeah, what Im not getting is that your 96 is obviously not performing very well. It should do as well as your 396 on this system. I have the same type trunking system you have and mine is an excellent performer, both on digital and analog TGs. Absent you sending or posting your P96 file, its hard to determine what is wrong. I would suggest that you send it back to RS in Fort Worth Texas for repair stating the problems you are haveing. They can fix most anything on these for about $50US. The scanner is definitely worth fixing as refurb ones were going for about $230US a month ago.

I was thinking about that Jamesa, I actually bought it in Houston Texas, kinda ironic it has to go back there lol..

I'm posting my config file, just so you can have a look, it was posted in another forum, but I've changed it now, so I'll upload the newest version, maybe you will see something others have not.

Attachments

• Radioshack Pro96-NSTMR.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 232

jamesa53

One thing I noticed particularly about your file was that you have only the primary and alternate control channels entered for Tantillon. One of the possible control channels you have entered for Geizers Hill is not valid for that site 860.38750. What I would do is enter all the frequencies for each site in starting with Channel 00 for each site. Tantillon has 6 frequencies and Geizers Hill has 15 frequencies. You do not need to leave blank lines between the frequencies, just enter them in order. You have the bank set correctly to MOT as well as the control channels set to MOT. Keep the systems in separate banks as you have now. Sometimes these systems change control channels and if you dont have all of them programmed and one of them not designated as a control channel becomes the control channel you won't pick anything up, which seems to be happening in your case with your 96. Hope this helps.

scnnr

I messed around making a file using web import that you can try if you like. Up to you. I certainly can't test it out. :) I hope you get that scanner working as it is a great scanner. Mine does the RCMP here in Manitoba flawlessly.

Attachments

• NOVA SCOTIA.zip
    17.7 KB · Views: 91

jamesa53

I messed around making a file using web import that you can try if you like. Up to you. I certainly can't test it out. :) I hope you get that scanner working as it is a great scanner. Mine does the RCMP here in Manitoba flawlessly.

So do you think him putting in all the freqs will help? I definitely cant test his file ;). The other thing I forgot to tell him to try was to find the CC manually for each site and then read the percent decode.....oops.

scnnr

So do you think him putting in all the freqs will help? I definitely cant test his file ;). The other thing I forgot to tell him to try was to find the CC manually for each site and then read the percent decode.....oops.

Notice that I only did that in the 6th bank and only a few towers that appear to be in and around Halifax city. I also left it in open mode .

There are some that swear that by putting in the cc's towers and leaving a space in between sites helps to get the pro96 to roam and select the strongest/closest tower.

Good idea about checking the decode percentage.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber

martidav

KI7VLV
Premium Subscriber
Larry
Not that you have a Pro-107, but.... would using the Wildcard* search feature on the Pro-107 be a similar tactic to look for new Talkgroups?

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
well, I tried the different configs, including the one posted here, and it seems to be about the same as before, anything digital comes in garbled and weird, while analog talkgroups come in clear and clean, all from the same tower..

I even opened it up and checked the BNC connector as best I could, It looks fine, and doesnt seem loose at all, unless its not soldered under the metal sheild thats soldered to the base of the BNC connector. You cant really see anything without removing it, which I dont really want to do..at least not without a service guide of some sort.

Anyone got a link to some service guides, or one to share here ?? :D

jamesa53

Did you try to read the percent decode from the CCs on this system......a good rate is anything above 75 and 50 is marginal. If the radio wont pick up the CCs it wont pick up the TGs either. You have to manually go to the bank where the CCs are and step through them until you hear motorboating. If you dont hear this, then that could be your problem. If you are pretty close to the tower 5mi I would say and dont hear this, then its time for RS repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.