Mods Breaking Up Threads Is Confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

Is there a way you all might consider putting some kind of flag, indicator, or announcement at the top when you break up a thread into a new one if stuff is getting off topic? It's confusing how we get these broken up threads right in the middle of a conversation and it throws everything off. Here's a thread that starts off with a quote on the very first post, which makes no sense. Then someone down in post #8 who refers to post #24 which also makes no sense:

Who is "UnidenSupport" on Radio Reference?

This trips up new readers and messes up some of the posts if they're referring to some other post in a different thread. Maybe you all could add some kinna feature on here where mods can click a button to add a split thread flag indicator or something like a note at the top with a link to the other thread.

CanesFan95

Yeah, but people don't stay on topic. All I'm saying it's confusing when you're going through and reading stuff and you come across a conversation that's right in the middle of a conversation on the first post.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Speaking for just myself...

I'm a volunteer, I moderate in my "free" time. I don't have time to a) move all off-topic posts to a separate thread and also b) edit each and every one of those posts if they happen to mention a post in the original thread.

As was mentioned, if people would stay on-topic this wouldn't be an issue. And since it happens so infrequently I really don't see it being a big issue anyway....but that's just me.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
As was mentioned, if people would stay on-topic this wouldn't be an issue. And since it happens so infrequently I really don't see it being a big issue anyway....but that's just me.

It's not just you, it's all of the Moderators.

It's not a big deal and if people would just stay on-topic, threads wouldn't get chopped up.

CanesFan95

OK, understood. But you guys don't get paid anything ?? That seems completely not fair. Where does all the ad and subscription revenue go?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
OK, understood. But you guys don't get paid anything ?? That seems completely not fair. Where does all the ad and subscription revenue go?
So, you think that all of the servers and bandwidth, hosting over 7,000 Broadcastify feeds and ingesting all of the Broadcastify Calls nodes, costs nothing? Just the tip of the iceberg. In any event, the topic of whether or not anyone gets paid around here really isn't going to be discussed publicly.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
The above post is correct on both parts.

The moderators can discuss how to better handle splitting off posts to separate threads, but no guarantees on any big changes.

Closing before it goes off-topic and I have to move posts to a separate thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.