• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Modular Portable Radio Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
I am wanting to build a modular portable radio box system (if that makes sense) that can be transferred between my home office and a trailer (that will eventually be set up for this). I would like to build this modular setup with several different boxes to include a two way radio box, scanner box, power distribution box, and a battery box. I should note that this will be a monitoring post 95% of them time and will generally not transmit, but will occasionally.
The two way radio's involved with this project will be an XTL2500 VHF 50watt dash unit, XPR5550e UHF 25watt dash unit, Harris XG75M 7/800mhz 35watt dash unit, and a Uniden 980SSB CB.
The scanners involved with this project will be 3 Uniden BCT15X's , a Uniden BCD996XT, a Uniden BCD996P2, and a Uniden BCD536HP. I would also like to include an antenna multicoupler (to the interior of the box) and space to quick connect handheld scanners such as Unidens BCD396XT & BCD436HP (I think this can be done easily by just adding microphone hangers and running power outlets/antenna coax connections)
For power distribution involved with this project, in the home office the radio's will be powered by a Astron RS-35M power supply. Once I get the trailer, I plan to outfit it so that this will still be the case wether it be via shore line or generator. I will be using anderson powerpoles for all power connections. Each box will have its own fused distribution block inside and will have one heavy duty power connection on the outside of the box as well as a master power switch.
I would like to add a battery backup option for when power goes out. I have priced 12v car batteries at walmart, homedepot, ect and would be open to the idea of purchasing 2 or 3 of them for that purpose, my only issue is that i'm not sure how/if there is a SAFE way to charge/maintain those batteries via the Astron power supply.
Antenna pigtails will be made from the rear of the radio to antenna switches then to connectors on the rear of the boxes. The radio box will antenna switches mounted on the rear as well as coax cable connections. This will be done to accomidate multiple antenna setups (Home office having independent VHF, UHF, & 7/800 antenna's in the attic while the trailer will have dual/tri band antenna). The scanner box antenna coax will be we "patched" if you will. The upper patch bnc patch panel will be connected to an antenna multicoupler fed to a discone antenna. The bottom bnc patch pannel will be connected to each scanner (not all will be used). The scanners will generally be fed to an antenna multicoupler to a discone antenna but this will be done incase I want to connect a specific scanner to a dedicated antenna. there will be a pigtail connection made from the multicoupler to the rear of the scanner box to a pl259 connector.
I will be making these boxes out of wood and painting them black. Racks will be made inside each box to support each radio/scanner and all radios/scanners will have havis face plates. Each box will have carry handles on the side and will have all connections/switches on the rear. Please refer to the photos below for hopefully a better explaination.
My reason for posting is to hopefully have many of you read over this and point out any issues that may come up. Additionally I am hoping for any information on charging/maininting a battery backup setup as described above. any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Lynx Radio Setup 2.png
    Lynx Radio Setup 2.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 60
  • PwrDist Rear.png
    PwrDist Rear.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Radio Cabinet.jpg
    Radio Cabinet.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Radio Rear.png
    Radio Rear.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Scanner Cabinet.png
    Scanner Cabinet.png
    804.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Scanner Rear.png
    Scanner Rear.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 89

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have used an SKB Road Case for my amateur satellite station. The model I have has shock mounts so that the racks float inside in the event they are roughly transported. These can be had cheaply used from has been DJ's and Pawn Shops. Locally in Orlando, Skycrafter has a bunch of similar racks for ~$65 used. If you are going to build your own road case, be sure to shop for corner braces and other hardware to make the cabinet more durable. Using wood will add weight and won't be as indestructible as an SKB, though it may look nicer or be more compact. Making the battery and power distribution seperate is a good idea as those can go on the floor or in a corner away from operating position. I would include a deep drawer for cables and microphones etc. I Installed an aluminum 19 inch panel 1/8 inch thick at the rear of the radio cabinets for lightning suppressors and ground bonding.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, rack mount case would be the way to go. Lots of them on the used market.

You can get custom made rack panels/shelves to hold your various radios.

As for power, probably your best/easiest shot is to use a 12 volt power supply that has a battery revert module. The power supply will have a 'load' output to your equipment, and a 'battery' output to your battery system. The power supply will keep your batteries on a float charge, which is safe for long term use. If the AC power fails, the battery system will automatically take over.

I'd recommend not using car batteries. They are designed for high cranking amps, also they are vented and usually a 'wet' cell, which means they risk dribbling acid. They will also outgas hydrogen, which you really don't want.
Depending on what your budget is, you may want to look at gel cells (lower budget choice) or look at something more expensive/light like LiFePO battery.

The power/battery setup is going to be heavy, so consider how you are going to lug that around. A couple of large gel-cells will get to be a lot to move around. The fancier batteries will be lighter, but you'll pay a lot for them.

Since you say you won't be transmitting often, you could probably design this around a battery system and just a charger to keep the battery topped off. The power supply/battery charger could be sized to handle the receive only load of the system, and the battery would handle the few times you transmit. That would keep your power supply smaller.
You could also incorporate things like a solar panel to keep the batteries charged.

I've built some similar kits like this for our OES office, but I always avoided batteries since they add a lot of weight and if not used/cycled regularly, can become more of a burden.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I have used an SKB Road Case
I just looked these up. I like the Idea... Would save me a lot of time!

You can get custom made rack panels/shelves to hold your various radios.
This was my very next thought! Do you happen to know where/who makes them for Motorola/Uniden equipment?

I'd recommend not using car batteries. They are designed for high cranking amps, also they are vented and usually a 'wet' cell, which means they risk dribbling acid. They will also outgas hydrogen, which you really don't want.
Never thought of that! Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.