• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Modulation kits & Antenna 'lights'? (separate Qs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I am looking at a cb that has a "modulation kit" installed -- If this were used with a power mic, would that over-power the rig? (either inside or somehow drive the watts over 4?)

And I saw something that reminded me of 'the old days' -- A light on the top of the antenna that lights when you key up -- Isn't this just a neon light using radiated power?
I found one on a site:
Lite Talker Red - Palco Electronics

LtDoc

"I am looking at a cb that has a "modulation kit" installed -- If this were used with a power mic, would that over-power the rig?"
Most of those "modulation kits" are pure B.S. and will cause over modulation even if done correctly. Using that 'kit' with a power mic is just more of the same.
Having more than 100% modulation is a waste of effort because it causes distortion. Using a power mic can do the same thing if it's run at too high of a setting. Add the two together and what do you think you get?
Will doing either raise the output power of a 'stock' radio? Probably, but that increase in power isn't going to be noticeable. What you will notice is a difference in how the user 'sounds', and that's usually not 'better' by any stretch of the imagination. For an increase in power to be effective it means you have to at least double the output power. Unless you want to do a lot of modifying, a stock radio just isn't capable of producing that doubled power, the manufacturer isn't 'giving' you something for nothing. Those just looking for 'bigger numbers' don't understand those 'numbers' to start with so think they've really done something useful/beneficial and it doesn't mean a thing.
You can 'push' almost anything to some extent, but you have to know when to quit before you mess things up. Most of the modified radios you will hear are totally messed up...
- 'Doc

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Doc -- that's what I thought - I passed on buying it -- it was a nice older base station -- but they had installed a modulation kit and ran a power mic -- what I heard was aweful; and I skipped buying it because when I used a stock mic, it still sounded like ****; so I suspect they blew something out inside of the cb.

Why people want to f**k with things to gain small improvement is beyond me (ie: "tweaknig to get 5 watts") I have had the same cb for almost 20 years, bone stock; and still works and sounds fine.

cheers
-josh

sdeeter19555

Thanks Doc -- that's what I thought - I passed on buying it -- it was a nice older base station -- but they had installed a modulation kit and ran a power mic -- what I heard was aweful; and I skipped buying it because when I used a stock mic, it still sounded like ****; so I suspect they blew something out inside of the cb.

Why people want to f**k with things to gain small improvement is beyond me (ie: "tweaknig to get 5 watts") I have had the same cb for almost 20 years, bone stock; and still works and sounds fine.

cheers
-josh

If you can buy it cheap enough, a good tech can put it back to original...I've bought a lot of hacked radios and had a local guy put them back to original. Most often, there isn't too much inside one that can't be fixed.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Well; a "cheap second radio" becomes "not so cheap" once I start tossing in tech charges. I hit up a bunch of shops to see if they could check alignment on my TRC485 -- Everyone said "no, we don't work on that" except one shop -- but their website devotes several pages to "defending" others attacks -- and in the process attacking other techs.. Result is I distrust anyone who has to trash another -- the point here is that I already have one radio I can't get someone to tune; to get another that might have blown or burned up parts + needing an alignment; well; the radio stops being "cheap".

sdeeter19555

Well; a "cheap second radio" becomes "not so cheap" once I start tossing in tech charges. I hit up a bunch of shops to see if they could check alignment on my TRC485 -- Everyone said "no, we don't work on that" except one shop -- but their website devotes several pages to "defending" others attacks -- and in the process attacking other techs.. Result is I distrust anyone who has to trash another -- the point here is that I already have one radio I can't get someone to tune; to get another that might have blown or burned up parts + needing an alignment; well; the radio stops being "cheap".

I can give you the name of a reputable guy (a tech, not a hack), but you would need to ship your radio. I've only found one thing he wouldn't touch, and it was an all-in-one handset (Midland version of a Cobra 75).

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I can give you the name of a reputable guy (a tech, not a hack), but you would need to ship your radio. I've only found one thing he wouldn't touch, and it was an all-in-one handset (Midland version of a Cobra 75).

Please do!

-josh

Status
Not open for further replies.