Mohonk Preserve Ranger Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcscandam

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any information about the Mohonk Preserve ranger radio system... conventional/trunking, frequencies, CTCSS? The park is located in Gardiner, NY. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
There licensed on more than 152.300. This frequency can be heard all the way to albany. . you can also try 159.660 FB2 160.035 FB/mo WPXF966 151.655 FB/MO WNPQ458 . I know the 152/157 split isnt being used properly. there using something else for input.the 152 half really blows some smoke thou. the freqs i listed are from FCC,so someone closer will have to monitor for listing in data base here

jcscandam

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the details Mtnrider, that should get me going!

I did listen to Mohonk mountain house but that is a private hotel property, havent heard any Mohonk Preserve rangers on there yet. Same deal with Minnewaska state park.

Spec

Just as information regarding the "Gunks" The area in question is divided into 3 separate properties.
NYS Parks, The SBI property (Mohonk Mtn House-Hotel) and The Mohonk Preserve. All three are separate and distinct . When searching for radio licenses this may help.

jcscandam

Premium Subscriber
Wanted to update the thread on some progress today. But first just wanted to clarify the entities/businesses involved in the "park" which run by a mix of government agencies, non-profit nature preserve and a private hotel.
++First as we've mentioned in this thread there is the Mohonk Mountain House which is a hotel transmitting on 152.3 (118.8 PL) and is listed in the RR database...Mtnrider detailed all of this nicely in this thread. Listen and you'll hear about shampoo, towels, valet and conference room scheduling.
++Second there is Minnewaska state park which is listed in the RR database under the OneVoice network. I live close to Minnewaska park and have been scanning the OneVoice network but have not heard anything from them. In the RR database the park is listed in the state of Connecticut so I'm wondering if the database is incorrect for this entity.
++ Finally there is the Mohonk Preserve, the one I'm interested in. The Mohonk Preserve is a non-profit land preserve that has a team of 10+ rangers with radios and at least one repeater - i was in the visitor center and I noticed they had a radio on the desk which had "M.P. Repeater" listed as the current station. There is no information on this entity in the RR database. I suspect it often gets lumped into the "Mohonk Mountain House" even though they are separate entities.

Now for the update. I noticed a few 2ft whips around the visitor center/ranger station. So I've been running a conventional scan on 150-160mhz and got a hit on 154.13 Tone C192.8. I've attached the audio... it certainly sounds to me like a preserve ranger. The person speaking made reference to "ranger 10" and also mentions a section of the park called the "foothills" which is in the Mohonk Preserve jurisdiction.

So my question is what else should I do to map this system. Because of this hit should I just assume it is a conventional system with 1 repeater? I'm new to scanning and have been looking around the RR forms for a good read about discovering systems that you know exist, but that you have no information at all on. If anyone can point me to some good reading I'd appreciate it. I am planning to continue to monitor that frequency and also plan to use Uniden "close call" in the next few days around the ranger station. If anyone has other info on the mohonk preserve ranger system or suggestions on how to proceed that would be great!

Thanks!

Attachments

• preservRanger.m4a.zip
    116.5 KB · Views: 21

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
154.13 is licensed to the Gardiner Fire District, callsign KNDS794.

You can see the license details by entering the callsign into the webpage at License Search

jcscandam

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible that 154.13 is the repeater frequency and they share it but use different PL codes? Based on the FCC call sign the repeater is at the top of the "gunks" tower (skytop) which would make sense for the preserve rangers to use. Gardiner FD is also on the first response team for any accidents at the cliffs, so maybe it makes sense to share the frequency? I'm confused because the traffic is definitely a preserve ranger talking. Any suggestions for next steps besides "close call" and just listening in on that frequency?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Friday i heard The annoying noise of moto-tubo on 152.300. But from where i was could have been anywhere east.,.Conn or mass...or maybe the aforementioned Hotel has added that

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Is it possible that 154.13 is the repeater frequency and they share it but use different PL codes? Based on the FCC call sign the repeater is at the top of the "gunks" tower (skytop) which would make sense for the preserve rangers to use. Gardiner FD is also on the first response team for any accidents at the cliffs, so maybe it makes sense to share the frequency? I'm confused because the traffic is definitely a preserve ranger talking. Any suggestions for next steps besides "close call" and just listening in on that frequency?

Gardiner FD is now using a UHF frequency. They are allowing the rangers to use the old vhf frequency 154.130.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
154.13 is licensed to the Gardiner Fire District, callsign KNDS794.

You can see the license details by entering the callsign into the webpage at License Search

Gardiner has moved to a UHF frequency, they are allowing the Rangers to use the old VHF frequency.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber

Did you try any of the NYS DEC/Parks frequencies...?

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
The post has already been answered. Its already been confirmed that the Rangers at Mohonk Preserve are using 154.130.

According to who? This would suggest otherwise...

"Any suggestions for next steps besides "close call" and just listening in on that frequency?"

Either you didn't read the entire message or you decided the OP doesn't require any more help or suggestions.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
According to who? This would suggest otherwise...

"Any suggestions for next steps besides "close call" and just listening in on that frequency?"

Either you didn't read the entire message or you decided the OP doesn't require any more help or suggestions.

The OP asked about the frequency the Rangers used. Based upon the OP findings, and the info I was able to obtain from inside sources, the question has already been answered. Its obvious that you didn't read the entire thread.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, I suppose it's possible that I didn't understand the "any suggestions" part of the quoted text from OP, but is it up to you to decide no more help or suggestions are needed even though the OP specifically asked...?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to declare the post answered, and therefore over, when someone was offering ideas for anything else the OP might want to try.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Hmm, I suppose it's possible that I didn't understand the "any suggestions" part of the quoted text from OP, but is it up to you to decide no more help or suggestions are needed even though the OP specifically asked...?

I'm not sure why you felt the need to declare the post answered, and therefore over, when someone was offering ideas for anything else the OP might want to try.

What more is there suggest?? The frequency was already confirmed, not sure what else there is to try. I guess you just like hearing your self talk...

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, offended much...?

Maybe it's you who doesn't understand "any suggestions"... Seems rather obvious and rational to me.

Again, no reason for you to tell someone their ideas/suggestions/help are no longer necessary. I would think the OP should actually be the one to decide if his post has been answered or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.