Monitor Brands and Their RFI Issues

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
During the construction of my latest incarnation of my radio room (stay tuned for that debacle) I have made a pretty significant effort to mitigate local interference sources. I have by and large been successful with this, with the combination of a multitude of snap-on ferrites just about everywhere I can put them and sometimes something as simple as changing from one HDMI cable to another of a different length. It's amazing how something that simple can make a significant difference.

I have a total of three LG monitors involved in my setup. Well back to two as of today, unfortunately. I am finding that these are some of the biggest RF offenders I have ever encountered. This setup involved adding LG monitor #3, which is a model 24MK600M-B. After numerous attempts to minimize interference from it I'm sending it back. It's about the worst offender in my case that I've ever dealt with. Three different heavily choked HDMI cables made no difference, the 482 MHz and 155 MHz bands became flooded with spikes and other marvelous anomalies in every case. I replaced it with an older Lenovo 22" that is directly powered from 120 VAC unlike the LG's and their wall worts. Virtually no interference from it. I have two 32" LG's that are my main monitors, one is a 4k and one is a 2k. After a lot of adjustments I have them emitting minimal garbage and they're not getting moved unless absolutely necessary.

The other monitor is an older Acer 32" full HD monitor and it seems to cooperate well; again direct 120VAC power. We all know the wall worts raise hell and that is surely one major thing to eliminate when possible, but with the LG's there seems to be a lot more in play than just that.

Curious as to what monitors you folks use and your experiences with the RFI they spew...or do not spew.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
My primary is an ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q the only noise comes from the power adapter and it's minimal. This is the same for my other 2 asus monitors.

What constitutes minimal? 1-2S Levels at 20 Meters and below. I choked them up but the noise wasn't affected. I have heard of people who hard wire their monitors to a linear power supply, but my'n operates at 19V per the box and it wasn't feasible.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I had a Dell monitor that ran on 12VDC and that's exactly what I did. As you mention though it seems that a lot of monitors that require these power adapters have an off voltage like that; the LG's are the same.

I replaced the LG I mentioned above with another Acer, this one a 22" which fit perfectly where I mounted it. It is powered directly from 120VAC and is not a problem at all.