Monitoring a LTR passport Trunking system

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuscan

Is their anyway to monitor a LTR passport Trunking system using a scanner or software? I've searched and the only thing I can find is SDRTrunk using a Auxiliary decoder but I couldn't find a LTR passport aux decoder in my search. The LTR passport system in my area is analog voice.

What's the difference between the LTR passport and LTR standard?

What would happen if you loaded the LTR passport frequencies/ids for an analog system into a LTR standard scanner? Would it receive anything or is it just completely different?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I've never had the privilege of a Passport system nearby to monitor, but I think it's all just analog voice. And if that is the case, you certainly should be able to just program the frequencies in as a conventional frequencies and hear audio. You just won't be able to determine talkgroups.

I think LTR-Trunk will simply show trunking data for LTR Passport but not actually trunktrack it. And it looks like it would require a discriminator tap (and possibly some additional hardware). SDRTrunk (based upon my quick reading) should support monitoring an LTR Passport system out of the box if configured properly.

No scanner is going to handle actual Passport trunking, but if the voice is analog there is no reason you shouldn't be able to hear the voice traffic if you program the frequencies in conventionally.

Of course, I don't know what sort of bleeps, blips or other sounds might be present on an LTR Passport analog signal that might annoy you if scanning conventionally.

D

DaveNF2G

LTRTrunker (DOS) is the only software that can track PassPort. It requires a discriminator tapped scanner and a low-pass filter ahead of the slicer.

D

DaveNF2G

Oops. I forgot about SDRTrunk. In my defense, it is beta software.

D

DaveNF2G

LTRTrunk is still the best performer for all LTR modes. Unfortunately, computers with serial ports that can run DOS are getting hard to come by. I went through several attempts to get something working a few months ago and finally had to give up. The main issue is the unavailability of RS-232 ports on anything less than about 10 years old.

cg

Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk works on Passport. I don't know what is the last stable version. I believe you need SDRs to cover the spread of frequencies so if a system uses 451 and 461 MHz channels, you need to have more than 1 SDR. My setup used 4 but I was doing other stuff so not sure what was used by SDRTrunk.

chris

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Simplest way is to enter as conventional frequencies with no delay.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
This old, now deprecated, system was one of the larger LTR Passport systems in its day. It was utilized by several counties in northern middle Tennessee for public safety before switching to NXDN format.

The notes on the system may give you a couple of monitoring hints for some older scanners.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3735

D

DaveNF2G

I use one beta and one alpha version of SDRTrunk here, with plenty of dongles. Decoding is unreliable and prone to emitting blasts of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.