• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Monitoring CB traffic with scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

swann3030

I am using a GRE 500 and attempting to monitor CB transmissions using the pre programmed search function. I live extremely close to a major highway and border crossing with what I would think to be a good amount of CB traffic.
Unfortunately I am not picking anything up. I am using the standard rubber duck antenna that shipped with the scanner. Why am I not picking anything up? Antenna not affective at that frequency?

josiahgould

Can you find someone with a CB to test your scanner? If you can pick up the CB frequencies (remember AM, not FM), then have them go farther away to check the range on your antenna. If nobody has a CB, tune it to 27.025, that's the Super Bowl. If you can receive CB then you WILL pick up Ch.6.

Or, maybe nobody is using CB around where you are? I live near a major Interstate, I-10, in Florida. CB chatter is getting sparser and sparser except for the local hunters. There might just not be anything to listen to.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The stock rubber duck handheld scanner antennas will hardly pick up any CB radio transmissions,to get some transmissions you would need to get a bigger better handheld antenna or get a mobile or a base antenna that can pick up the CB freqs properly.

Or its just that no one is hardly using CB radio where you live.

Last edited:
just make a 1/4 wave groundplane, 1/2 wave folded dipole over 1/4 wave groundplane like the type used in commercial applications, a 1/2 wave coaxial type antenna, or straight 1/2 wave dipole oriented vertically.

these types are easily and cheaply made and work pretty good.

Nap

The stock rubber duck handheld scanner antennas will hardly pick up any CB radio transmissions,

That was my experience too. Replace it with either a rubber duck designed specifically for CB (if you care of CB only) or one of the thin wire, flexible, long antennas for scanners (not rubber ducks).

LtDoc

There are no 'rubber-duck' antennas that will get close to the performance of a 'full sized' antenna unless that 'rubber-duck' is dang near the same size/length as a 'full sized' antenna. An antenna's length is a function of the frequency it's to be used on. Higher frequency means shorter antenna lengths, lower frequency means longer antenna lengths. A typical antenna length for 27 Mhz is something around 8 - 9 feet long. That's just not a very convenient antenna length for a hand-held scanner, right? As that inconvenient length starts to get shorter, so does it's performance. When it get's to something like a foot long, it's typically not worth much, but I guess it's better than nothing.
In general, longer antennas work 'better' than shorter antennas at any frequency. Your best bet would be to use an antenna something closer to that 8 - 9 foot length. It doesn't have to be 'fancy', a simple wire would do better than a 'rubber-duck'.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.