Monitoring DPS on a 396 T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As stated, DPS generally utilizes whatever regional system is applicable if in some sort of trunking coverage. In Austin, Bastrop, Lee County, Williamson County, Western Counties, Middle Rio Grande…this means GATRRS. In Permian Basin, this means Permian Regional (until it gets absorbed). In Bell County, it means the Bell County system. Etc.

I don't know how they are handling the more strict (Harris) systems such as Abilene, Lubbock, Midland, San Angelo, etc. I know in some cases where they have very few patrolling troopers, they utilize the SO systems. In others, they utilize their conventional stuff.

twobytwo

As stated, DPS generally utilizes whatever regional system is applicable if in some sort of trunking coverage. In Austin, Bastrop, Lee County, Williamson County, Western Counties, Middle Rio Grande…this means GATRRS. In Permian Basin, this means Permian Regional (until it gets absorbed). In Bell County, it means the Bell County system. Etc.

I don't know how they are handling the more strict (Harris) systems such as Abilene, Lubbock, Midland, San Angelo, etc. I know in some cases where they have very few patrolling troopers, they utilize the SO systems. In others, they utilize their conventional stuff.
In Lubbock there are 3 or 4 talkgroups on the city trunking systems ,but are practical never used. DPS Ch A is what is used for DPS in this area.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber

I live in San Angelo and have only heard DPS on the C channels and the SO channels. I don't even think DPS has talkgroups on the city system. I work several counties away and also hear them on both DPS C or A channels and what ever counties SO they are in.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Once upon a time DPS bought or was given Harris radios to access the SA/BC EDACS system, but with the push to P25 I imagine they just have the overlay in their APXes now. No clue what level of access they have to the Corpus Christi/Nueces County EDACS system... most of the activity in that region seems to be on VHF.

DPS is very proactive and forward-thinking with communications interoperability and mutual aid, and when technically possible the troopers' radios will be set up to scan local SO/PD and their own channels. This is why you will hear them primarily on their trunking talkgroups in regions where large regional systems exist... cross-scanning between conventional and trunked creates technical issues, the least of which is missing voice traffic on one mode while monitoring the other. Portable coverage is usually (but not always) better on the trunking systems as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.