Monitoring Hydrogen Line Frequncies

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverrat373

I have an Icom R7000 receiver that I would like to use to monitor the hydrogen line frequencies after I build the necessary antenna. I know that I need a LNA (preferably with filters for local noise?). Can I hook-up the feedline directly to the receiver without any other devices? Can I then connect the receiver directly to the audio input of my computer to analyze the signals using software available online or would I need a converter of some type between the receiver and the computer to digitize the audio signal first.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
There isn't all that much interference you need to filter at 1420 MHz; there is a 'window' that is protected from other use specifically because of the radio astronomy interest in that range. Whether or not you can afford a suitable LNA or not might be an issue to consider. I trust you've done more than a little reading on the intricacies of hydrogen-line radio astronomy? It isn't a simple or straightforward activity.

prcguy

A friend of mine was going to look into Hydrogen Line reception and I set aside a few goodies for him. This LNA is really high level and can be easily tuned to 1420Mhz. It think it had about 18dB gain and a pretty low NF. The filters shown are great for this covering 1400 to 1440MHz with .6dB insertion loss and really good skirts. All this came off Ebay for about $50.

The little bit of reading I've done on Hydrogen Line reception wants a lot of antenna gain, like 10dB may not even get you into the party. I've also read around 30dB preamp gain is desirable with a super low noise figure like sub .5dB and with that much gain you want a good preselector filter in front of it.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.