Monitoring in Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
With so much to listen to within the boundaries of Ottawa I'm surprised there's so little in the database.

Although alot of it is either DMR/MotoTrbo or NXDN maybe even a a bit of P25 as well I'm baffled that there is still so little in the database.

Is there really only 3 or 4 people within Ottawa listening and contributing here?

I wish I could be in the city more often to grab the stuff that's here. There's plenty to listen to and identify.

I'm sure Toronto is the same however looking at the database here, there's been plenty added for that Region and I'm sure there's still plenty more readily available to monitor.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
It seems as if there has been a definite decrease in the amount of activity and it seems as if people here don't want to share maybe? You've been a longtime member, you haven't made friends with other members here?

I'm not sure what the population is in and around Ottawa but it doesn't come anywhere close to the massive area around and near Toronto. From Newcastle to St. Catharines, north from York and Simcoe Region to Waterloo/Wellington, Hamilton, there are close to 9 million people here.

There's going to be more members here and there are plenty of people who help out and share

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
The City of Ottawa itself is a million person population, that doesn't include the population of Gatineau/Hull region of Quebec. Or even the surrounding areas within an hour outside of the city.

Just bummed that there is so little in the database, yet if one were to take a moment to explore the bands they'd find that there's plenty to listen to within the city alone.

I'm not sure what the population is in and around Ottawa but it doesn't come anywhere close to the massive area around and near Toronto. From Newcastle to St. Catharines, north from York and Simcoe Region to Waterloo/Wellington, Hamilton, there are close to 9 million people here.

There's going to be more members here and there are plenty of people who help out and share

mmisk

Summer time affects my listening, with the cold weather returning I should have more time for this hobby.
I sure miss the good old days when we could listen to everything.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I blame some of this on new users being spoon fed by RR database scanners. I've seen countless posts from new users that muddle their way thru database scanning but haven't a clue how to use the search button.... let alone knowing what types of signals they are discovering.

ATCTech

I agree completely Forts. The state of the hobby these days parallels a lot of technology trends. People don't know and frankly are dissuaded from knowing what's behind the glossy wrapper of their personal tech toys, tablets, phones, computers, radios... the list goes on.

It's become a very narrow interest hobby and when digital modes with multiple formats, encryption. Quite frankly, with little to 'chase' on the airwaves beyond school buses, garbage trucks, security guards and landscapers in lower population density areas, there's not much on the surface to entice their curiosity.

gary123

I too agree with Forts comments. The database based scanning is fine but no one really pays attention to where that database came from or who is updating it. It also allows just 'hit the scan' operation with no concept of editing or refining the 'channels' scanned.

I spend a few hours+ a week searching the local bands for new signals or verifying activity on known users. ATCTech hit it on the head too many users have no idea on identifying users/or modes of operation. Worse, the newer scanners actually prevent you from finding some activity by auto muting the scanner on CC and Enc signals. The last is something I would like to see optional in the scanner menus. Anyway it is not uncommon to find the occasional commercial signal not in TAFL. With the predominance of DMR how many know that a Cap+ needs a CC so if a channel pops up as CAP and your not seeing the occasional control burst that means there is a second freq you haven't found yet.

Knowing the other services gives a whole new dimension to scanning especially if LE is encrypted. Taxis like to talk especially in later evenings, busses are great for talking about the accident at...... Local malls are great for activity many are like mini communities. You would be surprised how many mall stores either use headsets (469.2625) or radios on the loading docks not to mention loss prevention.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
I too agree with Forts comments. The database based scanning is fine but no one really pays attention to where that database came from or who is updating it. It also allows just 'hit the scan' operation with no concept of editing or refining the 'channels' scanned.

As someone who only recently got into the hobby... I can't imagine just letting it fly freely without any programming. I've spent months reprogramming both my scanners constantly and narrowing things down, changing systems and refining things. The idea of just letting it scan tons and tons of stuff seems so inefficient and would end up with hearing less in the end, I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.