Monitoring In Southwest Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I periodically get over to southwest Nebraska from Denver and carry a GRE PSR-500 with me to monitor as I have time. I've got the usual public safety freqs programmed in for NSP conventional, the new P-25 VHF system I guess they've gone to and hear very little when out there. I realize there's little activity in the late evenings but are there some nets I should concentrate on when traveling out there? I only have the rubber duck on the radio since I'm in a company car but would like to see what i can hear... Thanks for any assistance.

I usually travel from Colorado along Hwy 34 to Mc Cook and return to Colorado when I'm out there.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring S/W Nebraska

I do have a mag mount antenna... Would a 1/4 wave whip be adequate or a 1/2 wave or something?

W0JJK

NSP is on the P25 system. It is a smart zone system which means if no radios are affiliated to the tower your are scanning, you will not hear anything. I used to travel a lot to Southwest nebraska and only heard traffic off of McCook site. The rest were quiet other than the control channel.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
Monitoring S/W Nebraska - Update

I got a chance to head to Mc Cook last night for work. On the way home out came the scanner and a mag mount antenna with a 1/2 wave VHF antenna to play with. I did hear some police radio traffic on the P-25 system, I'm not sure if it was NSP or who. Although I was on Hwy 34 paralleling the BNSF mainline and heard some traffic from it, I also heard quite a bit of traffic on the UP mainline to the north that parallels I-80.

I checked the Database and found I had failed to add the local freqs for Dundy, Hitchcock, and Red Willow counties so I've added them.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys!

Last edited:

kmnewburn

Premium Subscriber
Originally Posted by kmnewburn View Post
This past Christmas I bought my husband a uniden BCD396XT, We got a few channels programmed into the scanner by accident. But there are so many more channels that need programmed into the scanner. I talked to a few different people on Christmas last year and I thought maybe they could help me or someone could.

We just want to have someone in my area program this scanner and I am willing to pay them to do this. I live in the Omaha Nebraska area...anyone in this area that could help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.