Monitoring IR721- updated TTP's for MTR PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

Had a close call yesterday, and by close call I mean near total failure in the face of a viable opportunity. So this little Knugget of Knowledge I thought I'd pass along, plus re-emphasize another, for any of you who may be interested.

So if everyone would turn to page 156 of the AP/1B for the description of Military Training Route IR721:

You'll see there isn't much heads up a person can get with regard to radio intercepts, as there are basically 3 reporting points, depending on how you want to count it. At Point J, KCLT on 307.8 and Shaw RAPCON on 318.1 and KVUJ at Point Hotel and Point India. For me only the KVUJ calls interest me as a warning, as my normal hunting grounds have been passed by the time KCLT or Shaw are contacted. If one goes by the book. Not that anyone seems to bother with the Mandatory reporting points anymore than I do with Mandatory automobile Speed Limits. This is War after all right? But at least I know its over, they have eluded me or passed me by some place I can't see em, if I hear traffic on 307.8 or 318.1.

yeah. right.

So at 1637h yesterday I hear PITT11 make three contact attempts on 307.8, and I presume that it had passed me by somewhere else in the 10 miles wide corridor that most of IR721 is. Oh well. Knowing the block reservation time was for 1600-1730 I still planned to hang around till then, and was going to kick around the woods near my huntin blind. So I grabbed a scanner, intending to leave the rest of my gear in place, and just for kicks setup a time lapse aiming in the general direction running at 1 frame per 2 seconds.

As I stood up I saw PITT11 pop over the tree tops about 30 degrees off what I had expected. A point and shoot still hanging off my wrist, cursing I somehow managed to get it turned on, an with no framing or adjustment, fired off a string of shots. PITT11 showed up in frame on the time lapse at 0:06 seconds and was gone at 0:14. Sheesh. The time was 1639h.

IMG_8249 IR721 PITT11 10-6-21 DAM cropped.jpg

The ADSBexchange track for reference:

All the shots are here, in the album "IR-721 - NC's Mach Loop"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another point about frequencies to monitor IR721:

Due to this post by lowlevelNC who posted three good posts, as a kindred spirit, then vanished into the ether:

In my special IR721-only radio setups I have been keeping 126.9 in though not expecting to catch anything. My thinking was flawed as that freq is not limited to being used near Roanoke....duh.... So on 9/16/21, at 1910h, I caught EPIC41 traffic to Roanoke (tho no surprise I heard no reply) on 126.9 radioing to say that they were going to be entering IR721 at Point Alpha at 1930h, which made for a nice confirmation that I wasn't on a wild-aluminum-goose-chase. You see, I am rolling old school, no smart phone, so when I leave the house, thats the last help I get from ADSBx. It makes for a lot of sitting around waiting for things that never show up....That alone may break my will to eschew a smartphone.

but looking at the flight path that day and comparing location with radio traffic heard, it put EPIC here:

20 Minutes before starting out at Roanoke and for my purposes an overall warning of approx 40 minutes.

That's all for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.