Monitoring KOKC-Will Rogers World Airport For Newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

As with any airport there is a order in frequency that may help listening to aviation in general. Depending on your area. Now based on what I have learned through flight simulation and study materials on VATSIM which uses real world instruction. Since all we are doing is is scanning aviation we can learn the order in which pilots are handed off per phase of flight. This is simplified and not at all meant to be for real world piloting.

Ground Phase:
125.850 ATIS ALL Pilots listen first.
Before a pilot pushes back, starts the aircraft they call for clearance. This clearance is based on a filed flight plan. Pilots will say "Will Rogers Southwest 1123 is ready for clearance to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta". Then clearance will reply with instructions for departure. A clearance involves which runway, fly runway heading, a standard instrument departure procedure (SID) which is a altitude or speed restriction, a initial altitude (5,000ft), target altitude in so many minutes usually 10 (ie FL360). a departure frequency, a squawk code (ie 4583). then the pilot reads back that instruction word for word. If it is read back correct the controller will say "read back correct".

KOKC Clearance Delivery 124.350
There are times KOKC tower will do the clearance on main tower frequency of 119.350 or 124.200.

Pushback and Taxi phase:
This phase is when the pilots will tune to 121.900 at KOKC. They will call ground "Oklahoma City ground this is Southwest 1123 ready for taxi to runway 35 Left." In the USA pilot's don't request a pushback clearance. Instead they call the ground crew for pushback. Thats when they release parking breaks, a tug pushes the plane back to the right taxi path, and set parking brakes. After pushback is done then they start engines. No engines are started at the gate. They usually pushback after taxi clearance which is a instruction. The instruction involves a set path they want the plane to go to the runway. "Southwest 1123 taxi to Runway 35 Left via Juliet, Gulf, Alpha." The pilot reads back that instruction. Pilots always reads back instructions during all phases of flight. this is also airport dependent some airports will have a different procedure but mostly the same.

During Taxi and then Take-Off.
121.900 all the way to almost the runway.
During taxi there maybe other planes crossing Southwest 1123's path lets say a plane is crossing Juliet on Golf but needs to use Kilo to get to the ramp Tower may request Southwest 1123 to hold short Golf for a MD-81. That pilot will comply read back instruction hold short Golf and await that MD-81 to cross Juliet on Golf. Then when the path is clear ground will ask the pilot to proceed.
"Southwest 1123 hold short Golf for the MD-81"
"Holding short Golf, Southwest 1123"
Md-81 clears the path
"Southwest 1123 Continue taxi".
"Roger continuing taxi Southwest 1123"
Plane makes it to Alpha. Changes to tower 119.350. Holds short on Alpha at 35L. Tower is watching. "Southwest 1123 cleared for take off winds at 180 at 8 barometer two niner niner seven" " Cleared for take off Southwest 1123" Then plane takes off.

Plane approaches 5,000 ft Tower contacts the pilot "Southwest 1123 contact departure" "Roger Southwest 1123 over to departure" Then the plane changes the radio to 124.600 then contacts departure "Departure Southwest 1123 with you at 5,000" " southwest 1123 climb and maintain flight level one one thousand fly heading zero seven five". Until the plane is within Class A airspace. Then they get the hand off to Ft Worth Center.

I tried my best to be accurate and all this was from memory. I may have missed some points or got something wrong that real world pilots may input their thoughts which is welcome. Please reply with any questions and thoughts.

Last edited:
S

simpilo

Or Kansas City Center depending on direction of travel.
yes indeed. I left a tidbit of a mess up in my thread. I said runway 35L winds 180 at 8. but that's kind of wrong and kind of right. Usually planes take off with the nose against the wind, or upwind. I had it taking off downwind. runway 35L is 356 magnetic, 360 true. 10 knots or less isn't much but I didn't add in wind gusts. In Oklahoma wind gusts are inevitable.

Southwest flies Boeing 737NG's
I didn't think about small propeller much lighter aircraft aircraft that can be blown over much quicker.

correct runway should have been 17L

Status
Not open for further replies.