• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Monitoring Motorola system II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougr

I would like to monitor Motorola II system the company uses mutable repeaters. I have found all the frequencies and group ID’s. My question is do I need to enter all the frequencies in different counties into the scanner to listen to all talk groups or do I just inter the frequencies that are close to me that use a repeater that my scanner can reach. Also is there any thing on the net to learn how to program Motorola II system only in a pro 97

mike_webb59

Check the Wiki Pages: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Motorola_Type_II_SmartZone

This isn't a true repeater operation, each station will support radios that "affiliate" (are within) its operational range -- ie a unit can move from station to station, but a conversation on a station out of your listening range won't be 'repeated' to where you can hear it.

Also find out if your scanner support Control Channel Only Mode so that you only need to program control channels.

You need only to program those stations that you can receive, or plan to receive, while moving around. To tell which station you can recieve, manually program in the control channel(s) and turn off the squelch, you should hear the control frequency. TRS (Trunked Radio Systems) have a shorter range when compared to conventional repeater systems but better penetration, I think the general rule of thumb is about 8 miles.

You must enter TGID (Talkgroup IDs) in order to use the SmartNet/SmartZone features.

If you have a Radio Shack Scanner, there is a discussion on how to possibly program in multiple MOT Trunks into a single bank for this type of application.

This may or may not be all the information, but read the Wiki to get started.

Dougr

Do I need only to program the control frequencies in the Motorola II system? Or do I need to program all of the frequencies. I have a pro 97

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Dougr said:
Do I need only to program the control frequencies in the Motorola II system? Or do I need to program all of the frequencies. I have a pro 97

Just the Control channel frequencies. ;)

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
I am running into a problem with figuring out how to program my pro-97 for mot type II. The info I have for my system has a "hex" and "dec" What does that mean and where does it go? If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know where to go. I am still learning as I go.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.