monitoring MOTOTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend said the GRE800 may monitor mototrbo?
the radio shop i use to work for put LINNDALE police on this and the frequency is 463.5750 it sounds like a control channel i did call the tec from the company i use to work for he said its like a trunking system type set up so how would i try to set up my scanner useing EZSCAN?

dave

W2NJS

You're out of luck on this. Even the 800 won't monitor DMR (TRBO) transmissions. As of right now you need either a DMR radio or special software to run on your computer to do so.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
David,

It is not true. At this time no scanner on the market will decode TRBO.

If you want to monitor TRBO, a few things have to happen:

1. A radio / scanner tapped for discriminator audio
  2. A reasonably fast PC to run DSD on

DSD uses some CPU to do the decode. If you are going to use DMRDecode to get specific details about a system, that requires two cores or more to function properly.

DSD can run under Linux and Windows. I suspect DMRDecode can run under any platform with JAVA installed.
  3. A reasonably good audio card to allow for proper sampling of the signal.

Oftentimes built-in sound will work, but oftentimes not.
  4. The transmissions you want to monitor must not have any privacy enabled. MotoTRBO has two privacy levels that I'm aware of, neither of which I am familiar with since I can't monitor them anyway.

Mike

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
If you have a PSR-800 you can use the PC/IF output of the PSR-800 to feed the audio to the DSD program without 'tapping' it.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; PG86100 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

davidzimmerman said:
i don't know how to do that?

You run an audio cable from the earphone/pc-if jack to the sound card on your computer. Just make sure the output to the pc-if is enabled.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Settings --> IF Output: HP or HP/SP

This enables discriminator audio over the audio cable plugged into the Earphone/IF jack. Do what Mark suggested and run an audio cable from the earphone jack to your sound card line-in [preferred] or mic-in.

This is what you'll want if you plan on trying to decode TRBO / NXDN, MPT1xx7 or Provoice, as well as any of the common trunking protocols listed below.

---------------------

You can also monitor more common emissions such as LTR, Moto, P25, EDACS, using PC/IF data [text data produced by certain scanners [including the PSR-800] in readable form, and usable by Pro96Com [for P25] and Unitrunker [for LTR, Moto, P25, EDACS - maybe something else] and possibly other software. For this you would use:

Settings --> Put a checkmark next to PC/IF CCDump.

- Mike

PS: Moderator: Please move this to the trunking forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.