BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Monitoring NC VIPER and Wake County Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueline72

Greetings,

I recently purchased the new BCD436HP to replace my old BC796D. I did not realize that there had been a re-banding of frequencies in my area. I found that out here on RR.com so I really appreciate that! I have updated the frequencies on the old BC796D and it seems to follow the Wake County system fairly well.

However, I seem to be having some trouble getting everything to work right with the 436HP. I have created Favorites Lists for all the agencies I wanted to separate out using the included software. Because Wake County is a unique system, I have reduced the sites to the WCS Raleigh site and the back-up Fuquay-Varina site. I work in public safety here and know the amount of radio traffic that is handled in Wake County. I just do not seem to be receiving the radio traffic on the 436HP as I should. Earlier today, I set the old BC796D beside the 436HP using the same type of antenna and the BC796D was picking up everything where the 436HP was only picking up a few transmissions.

I programmed my 436HP using the Sentinel Software and made no changes other than reducing sites (to my local sites) and a few alert / light assignments. I did not change anything else. Can you guys on the forum send me any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I recently purchased the new BCD436HP to replace my old BC796D. I did not realize that there had been a re-banding of frequencies in my area. I found that out here on RR.com so I really appreciate that! I have updated the frequencies on the old BC796D and it seems to follow the Wake County system fairly well.

However, I seem to be having some trouble getting everything to work right with the 436HP. I have created Favorites Lists for all the agencies I wanted to separate out using the included software. Because Wake County is a unique system, I have reduced the sites to the WCS Raleigh site and the back-up Fuquay-Varina site. I work in public safety here and know the amount of radio traffic that is handled in Wake County. I just do not seem to be receiving the radio traffic on the 436HP as I should. Earlier today, I set the old BC796D beside the 436HP using the same type of antenna and the BC796D was picking up everything where the 436HP was only picking up a few transmissions.

I programmed my 436HP using the Sentinel Software and made no changes other than reducing sites (to my local sites) and a few alert / light assignments. I did not change anything else. Can you guys on the forum send me any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks in advance!

Catch up with me directly via PM/Email and we will help ya figure out what is going on...as UPMan indicates it probably is something as simple as Service Types not being turned on.
Marshall KE4ZNR

JamesO

I ran through NC twice in the last week with my HP-1 and monitored the VIPER system and was surprised how well the HP-1 did monitoring the VIPER system.

I had my 436HP with me but did not use it while driving as I had a RAM mount for the HP-1 and the larger display made it much easier to see while driving.

But agree Service Types get most people in trouble on the new HP series radios. Service Types are software filters, suggest you turn them ALL ON and see what happens.

blueline72

I found the service types and turned them all on. Been listening to both scanners for over an hour now and no change in what I mentioned in my first post.

I am sure I have something not set right or I need to start all over with my programming.

Any ideas would be helpful.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I found the service types and turned them all on. Been listening to both scanners for over an hour now and no change in what I mentioned in my first post.

I am sure I have something not set right or I need to start all over with my programming.

Any ideas would be helpful.

If you don't get anywhere then try to catch up with me at RDU Airport General Aviation this next weekend:
General Aviation Terminal at RDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S64s06jCwc

I am usually up there Saturday afternoons from 1pm on plane spotting.
I normally have my programming laptop with Sentinel software for both the HP-1 and BCD436HP/536HP. We can look over your configuration and see where the problem might be. I have probably helped a few coworkers of yours as I have helped officers from all of the local depts (Raleigh/Wake Sheriff, Durham city and Sheriff, SHP, State Cap Police, Garner Police, etc etc).
Marshall KE4ZNR

Gcom

Having the same issues with my BCD-436 on the Wake Simulcast 3600 baud system. I have tried numerous settings to no avail. My GRE units receive traffic on this system fine, The appropriate systems are turned on but reception of them is broken much the same as it was on my 396xt and Home Patrol. .Also experiencing no reception of the Franklin County VHF P25 system which is also working on the GRE's. On the other hand the VIPER P25 statewide system is working fine on the 436.

Gcom

Wake County Raleigh Simulcast on BCD436

After much toying around with the 436 I have found the following settings to offer me the best reception of the Wake Simulcast System from around the county.

Menu
Settings
Band Default for 849.0 mhz = WFM & 12.5 khz

After saving The Wake Simulcast system in Favorites
Menu
Manage Favorites : Select your Wake Simulcast System
Review/Edit System : once again select Wake Simulcast
Edit Site
Edit Band Plan = Custom
Set Modulation = Auto
P25 Wait Time = 0
P25 Threshold Mode= Manual
P25 Threshold Level =11

* 800 mhz gain antennas either rubber duck or external degrade reception of this system .
Best reception was noted with stock duck or 1/4 wave duck .

Status
Not open for further replies.