Monitoring New Jersey from Delaware

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon,

With my SDS100, I can pickup the NJSP South Simulcast with my Remtronix antenna from the Smyrna area. I’m curious if there is anything else worth trying to monitor in NJ from my location and what others are monitoring from their location in Delaware.

Adam

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
It's possible. I know you get bits and pieces of South Simulcast from around Dover Raceway and up to Rt 1 interchange. Try it. I am also thinking you have a shot at some of Salem County, at the very least their VHF dispatch. If you really want to expand your horizon, try monitoring Chester County Pa. They have a very strong propagation into Delaware.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m able to pick up Salem County UHF frequencies, but they are coming up sounding very statically on the SDS100.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m able to pick up Salem County UHF frequencies, but they are coming up sounding very statically on the SDS100.
Yeah that can happen sometimes. Maybe those are just weak channels. You may be able to apply different filters to those channels which might make a difference.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I can pick up Salem County UHF using a Austin Spectra mounted about 30 feet off the ground in the Valley Forge area, PA. Scratchy but audible (as is expected)

Might be a long stretch to pick up Chesco from Smyrna. I'd be surprised
I've done it with some reception to spare on a Unication G5. A SDS100 is honestly not too far off from a Unication. So it is possible. Again it depends on the surrounding topography and any interfering signals (cell towers mainly) nearby so YMMV but it is possible. Chester County is Very strong to the south. I've heard them as far south as Dover.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
I can get the West Simulcast for Chesco but it’s challenging to lock on the control channel at times as its the same with Baltimore County and CMARC. Heading back to Jersey, is NJICS possible for the Smyrna area? I wouldn’t even know which sites are remotely possible to begin with.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
So I decided to enter Millville's zip code of 08332 to try a different approach of picking up frequencies and other trunked systems from New Jersey. It must be a good night from a propagation standpoint because I'm getting a strong lock on NJICS - Hammonton and Vineland City on the 2nd floor of my house along with Gloucester County. I'm also getting UHF Fire for Salem County along with DOC for Bayside. I think it's time to add them to my favorite lists on the SDS100.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
So I decided to enter Millville's zip code of 08332 to try a different approach of picking up frequencies and other trunked systems from New Jersey. It must be a good night from a propagation standpoint because I'm getting a strong lock on NJICS - Hammonton and Vineland City on the 2nd floor of my house along with Gloucester County. I'm also getting UHF Fire for Salem County along with DOC for Bayside. I think it's time to add them to my favorite lists on the SDS100.

I found the right location in the house to pick up NJICS - Berlin and Bordentown Simulcast (y)

Last edited:

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Try picking up Cape May County Fire dispatch 154.1300

Great suggestion. I just created a favorite list with the conventional frequencies for Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May counties to see what I can pick up. On a related note, I did add Atlantic City Intl. to one of my favorites list as I can pick up the approach and departure frequencies from here.

jaymatt1978

124.6000 IS ACY South approach 132.4250 is Dover Approach which is veryu active in Delaware. I rarely get the Atlactic City Tower
Great suggestion. I just created a favorite list with the conventional frequencies for Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May counties to see what I can pick up. On a related note, I did add Atlantic City Intl. to one of my favorites list as I can pick up the approach and departure frequencies from here.
\

maus92

Premium Subscriber
124.6000 IS ACY South approach 132.4250 is Dover Approach which is veryu active in Delaware. I rarely get the Atlactic City Tower

\
Tower freqs usually emanate from a single antenna site, whereas Approach can have multiple transmit sites depending on the sector and the facility's AOR.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
Good night for picking up the NJICS - Berlin Simulcast and Atlantic County - Atlantic City Site. One thing that I'm noticing is that I'm unable to pick-up NJICS - Cape May and Millville sites due to picking up the primary control channels for FIRST Cecil and Caroline on those respective NJICS sites. Is is safe to assume that I will not be able to receive NJICS - Cape May and Millville sites?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Good night for picking up the NJICS - Berlin Simulcast and Atlantic County - Atlantic City Site. One thing that I'm noticing is that I'm unable to pick-up NJICS - Cape May and Millville sites due to picking up the primary control channels for FIRST Cecil and Caroline on those respective NJICS sites. Is is safe to assume that I will not be able to receive NJICS - Cape May and Millville sites?
Unless you have a directional antenna, you might find it difficult at times since you are almost equidistant between the Maryland and NJ sites. Have you tried programming NACs?

pspc389

Premium Subscriber
I can hear Salem and Cumberland fire dispatch on high band, some Salem county sheriff on Dover. I'll pick up the trunked systems in the little creek Leipsic area.

Status
Not open for further replies.