• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Monitoring nexedge

Status
Not open for further replies.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Just wondering if I can listen to a nexedge system using "no ran" as csq substitute. I'm not trying to follow trunk, just trying to listen to the 5 channels used. I have no experience with nxdn. I don't know ran so wondering if no ran will open on any ran.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Ran code would be the site number from what i have read in the DSD forum. Never tried it myself.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just wondering if I can listen to a nexedge system using "no ran" as csq substitute. I'm not trying to follow trunk, just trying to listen to the 5 channels used. I have no experience with nxdn. I don't know ran so wondering if no ran will open on any ran.

Not with a Kenwood radio. Even if you set the RAN to zero.

In the trunking protocol the packets sent from the trunked system are tagged as being from a trunked system. The radios will not decode a trunked system, even in receive only and/or RAN = 0.
The only way to do this is to have the system key AND have the radio programmed with the radio ID in the trunked system. If the trunked system is set up to require ESNs, then the Radio ID and the ESN must match what's in the system.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I was beginning to suspect as much. I was curious as to how good fleetsync signal was in my area and what is sounded like. On monitoring forums they keep mentioning NO TG's are used in conventional yet I see all the conventional amateur nexedge repeaters use TG's.
Does Kenwood publish a "System Planner" or guide? M has one and it more or less told me all I needed to know about Trbo and was hoping Kenwood had the same.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
yes, I do use TG steering in the HAM Conventional stuff, the NXCore and NXReflector handles the traffic based on the TG (GID) used for communications. 65000 is our World Wide TG (GID) and goes to all the Pi's and NXCore servers, there we have a filtering process of pass or no pass, because we also use a FIPS model for LOCAL TG use. Example, Florida FIPS code is 12, 1200 is state wide, 1201 NFL, 1202 SFL, 1203 WFL. The NXCore or NXRef for Florida repeaters will react to the 12xx, but not pass it upline.
In the sense of D-Star, I have the model creation in the same as PTT GID, similar to the DMR PTT GID.
It has an adjustable timer for how long the repeater owner wants the talkgroup to remain active on the
repeater, after x amount of time, it reverts to monitoring statewide and the 65000 WW tg's for activity.
This project is listed under nxdninfo.com.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I was beginning to suspect as much. I was curious as to how good fleetsync signal was in my area and what is sounded like. On monitoring forums they keep mentioning NO TG's are used in conventional yet I see all the conventional amateur nexedge repeaters use TG's.
Does Kenwood publish a "System Planner" or guide? M has one and it more or less told me all I needed to know about Trbo and was hoping Kenwood had the same.

We have a systems guide, but not in the same layout as "M". It is actually more detailed than M in my thoughts. It covers the basics of the NXDN Type C Gen-2 Trunking system from 1 site to 1152 sites now.
Gen 1 covers up to 48 sites, Gen 2 can go way beyond that now, and cost more money as well. Gen 2
has the capabilities to go national similar to that of the good old BEEP BEEP nextel infrastructure.

So much details that it would take days to write is all out. And no, there is nothing big about to me, just not
something that is freely handed out. Once you see the list price for such a network, you will choke.

Here is just a snip of what Gen 2 Does.

Up to 1,152 sites
Up to 24 Wide Area Systems
Up to 24 Multi System Roaming *1- certain radios only allow 8
Browser Based Multi-Access Configuration
All Gen1 Functionality
Direct Frequency Assignment
Call Pre-Emption for Console
Fleet Priority Channel
Dynamic Control Channel
GPS Report Channel *2-Requires TC to be used as a GRHC
SNMP Capability for Repeaters *3- NXR-x00 require a CF Card to be installed and software
Network Management and Monitoring
NXR-700/800/900/901/5700/5800 Compatible

System Control Software LIST PRICE: $17K

Just to give you an IDEA.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
Wonder what is biggest install to date? 65k UIDs would be limiting factor--unless that is different for gen 2. Our state blew through 65k in no time on omnilink smartnet. We ran 2 switches until upgrade to P25 which added a digit or two to ID limit. 240 + sites. Quite a challenge for statewide "all start" TGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.