TRX-2: Monitoring NXDN System At Pueblo Test Track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure where to post this and I couldn't find an answer on these forums... I discovered the radio system at the Transportation Test Center east of Pueblo, CO, uses a trunked NXDN system with 2 sites. I loaded the Frequencies from the RRDB and loaded it as a conventional system. I heard bits and pieces of conversations that made me realize the system was probably trunked and that was confirmed by an answer to a question I posted in the Colorado forums.

How do I modify the set up in E-Z Scan so that it will react to the data properly?

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not sure where to post this and I couldn't find an answer on these forums... I discovered the radio system at the Transportation Test Center east of Pueblo, CO, uses a trunked NXDN system with 2 sites. I loaded the Frequencies from the RRDB and loaded it as a conventional system. I heard bits and pieces of conversations that made me realize the system was probably trunked and that was confirmed by an answer to a question I posted in the Colorado forums.

How do I modify the set up in E-Z Scan so that it will react to the data properly?

I think you are saying you've imported some conventional frequencies listed on RRDB in the TRX library but I'm only guessing.... I've looked a bit and cannot find the system/frequencies you are talking about -- perhaps you can provide more information. What frequencies? Can you point to them in RRDB?

Anyway, generically, if you have some conventional frequencies that you believe are really a trunked system, you can create a new trunked system in EZ Scan, set the type of NXDN, create two sites, put the frequencies for the sites in their respective site entries, and then create at least a wildcard talkgroup and perhaps a wildcard radio ID (in case they have private calls enabled on the system).

BTW - if you've programmed the frequencies as conventional, I *think* you should hear pretty much the same activity as when programmed as a trunked system... the biggest difference is that with the system programmed as trunked, you have more control over locking out talkgroups that are find with the wildcard and/or holding on a given talkgroup.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
NXDN Trunk System At TTC

Look in Colorado in the RRDB, then go to 'Colorado Area Wide Frequencies', and then click on Railroads. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and you'll find the TTC list.

troymail

Silent Key
Look in Colorado in the RRDB, then go to 'Colorado Area Wide Frequencies', and then click on Railroads. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and you'll find the TTC list.

Wow - how could I have not found that? :confused:

I doubt that railroad frequencies are trunked..... now, they could be using different "talkgroups" on any given frequency but I would not expect 160-162 Mhz to be trunked.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
The railroads do not use trunking. The TTC uses NXDN but it requires a RAN at worst. Operations 1-3 are Repeaters. Operations 4-13 are SIMPLEX.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
NXDN At TTC

A 'RAN'...? I understand repeaters but I was only hearing fragments of conversations.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
NXDN At TTC

I received this info from a friend:

TTCI uses a Kenwood Nexedge (NXDN) digital trunked system.*

I believe a total of 10 frequency pairs are used.

The output frequencies are on the frequencies of 10 of the AAR RR channels (14, 16, 44, 47, 51, 58, 64, 69, 73, 81).*
The input frequencies are in the VHF government band (162-174 MHz). *
They have 2 towers, one at the core area on the east side of the site, and one more centrally located for the large test loops.*The system is supposed to route calls through the tower with the best signal.

Those freqs are: 160.32; 160.35; 160.77; 160.815; 160.875; 160.98; 161.070; 161.145; 161.205; and 161.325.

Hope this helps...

troymail

Silent Key
I received this info from a friend:

TTCI uses a Kenwood Nexedge (NXDN) digital trunked system.*

I believe a total of 10 frequency pairs are used.

The output frequencies are on the frequencies of 10 of the AAR RR channels (14, 16, 44, 47, 51, 58, 64, 69, 73, 81).*
The input frequencies are in the VHF government band (162-174 MHz). *
They have 2 towers, one at the core area on the east side of the site, and one more centrally located for the large test loops.*The system is supposed to route calls through the tower with the best signal.

Those freqs are: 160.32; 160.35; 160.77; 160.815; 160.875; 160.98; 161.070; 161.145; 161.205; and 161.325.

Hope this helps...

If so, then following the info provided in post #2 should work.

Edit: and this must be the license (which indicates a trunk system with two sites).

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3526682

However, it's interesting that they also have another license for using those frequencies as conventional

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=1830437

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.