Monitoring Public Safety in Trumbull & Mahoning Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeB

I live out of state but often visit the Northern burbs of Youngstown. From what I can see about Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, much of Trumbull is VHF and Mahoning has a mix of P25, VHF & UHF. The Ohio MARCS isn't a great deal of interest but if its in the clear, I wouldn't be adverse to plugging it in.

I'm trying to determine which portable radio/scanner would be my best bet to monitor these two counties? I know the G4/G5 is a solid choice but my concern is VHF/UHF reception from a little bit of a distance towards Mahoning, being its a pager with an internal antenna. Would I be better served with a P25 capable handheld scanner such as a 436?

I'm mostly interested in monitoring Police, Fire & EMS. I will have no means to use an external antenna or a base radio.

Nasby

You will hear next to nothing for local law enforcement in the Valley as nearly every agency is on a digital system and are encrypted.

There are a few police departments (Niles, Liberty, etc.) that are still on VHF and in the clear but not many.

There's plenty to hear on fire / ems / highway patrol / prisons, etc.

Most agencies are on MARCS or the Boardman Joint radio system (which is digital).

To get the most out of scanning the area, you will need a digital scanner.

Fortunately, there are no simulcast systems or Phase 2 systems in the area. Thus, a less expensive scanner such as the Whistler WS1040 will do the trick. The 436 is a fine scanner and will also work well. You shouldn't need an external antenna to hear the action.

LukeB

@Nasby Many thanks for the information. I gathered that a digital scanner was necessary.

Has anyone used a G4/G5 with success to monitor any of the VHF in these areas from the opposite sides of Youngstown? (Listening to the Liberty, Vienna, etc. on VHF from say Boardman?) I'm only entertaining it because it's smaller but reception certainly trumps that.

Nasby

The VHF systems that are still in use are extremely strong. You should have no trouble receiving them from Boardman. Especially with a G4/5.

LukeB

Excellent, thank you for the feedback. I like the thought of having a few options.

Status
Not open for further replies.