Monitoring Raleigh PD on 800Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthom50

Premium Subscriber
I'm a little slow getting around to checking this out, but thanks a lot for making it available, Marshall!

It got me wondering, is the "Map ## L" at the end of Wake Fire/EMS dispatch locutions a grid designation for a map of the county? And if so, that might be another cool Google Earth overlay for listeners around here if one can be developed...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm a little slow getting around to checking this out, but thanks a lot for making it available, Marshall!

It got me wondering, is the "Map ## L" at the end of Wake Fire/EMS dispatch locutions a grid designation for a map of the county? And if so, that might be another cool Google Earth overlay for listeners around here if one can be developed...

Save yourself the trouble and just order a map book for about $24.
The above linked Map book is what Wake Fire/EMS & Locution use on
dispatches.
Hope this helps!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

mthom50

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the slow response, but thanks Marshall for the info on the map book - didn't realize they were using an off-the-shelf product, but it makes sense!

FlyBoy276

Marshall (or anyone else that might know how to correct this..), I am having some trouble listening to the RPD with my Pro-96 scanner. It worked fine for the past few years, but there was a period where I didnt monitor much. When I started again, I was unable to hear anything. I looked in the database, reprogrammed all of the frequencies used to follow VIPER in Wake Co, programmed in the RPD and Cary talkgroup IDs, yet I hardly ever hear anything. The most I am able to hear is the ocassional EMS/fire automated dispatch messages, and the WCSD's detention center. When I manually choose a talkgroup for RPD to follow, it will sit there all day and hear nothing, or spit out something that sounds either like the garbled static you hear when listening to the control channel, or something that sounds like a modem (encrypted traffic?).

Any ideas?

K7RAG

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR.com!
Are you programming the Pro96 by hand or are you using
Win 96 to program the radio?
I have a feeling you need to go to the listing for the Control Channel Freqs (which should be 868.7875Mhz and 868.5625Mhz) and make sure their "Mode" is set to "MOT" for a motorola system.
Once I get home later today I can email you a working Win96 file for you to study if you send me an email to KE4ZNR-at-radioreference.com.
I am pretty sure we can get ya set.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall (or anyone else that might know how to correct this..), I am having some trouble listening to the RPD with my Pro-96 scanner. It worked fine for the past few years, but there was a period where I didnt monitor much. When I started again, I was unable to hear anything. I looked in the database, reprogrammed all of the frequencies used to follow VIPER in Wake Co, programmed in the RPD and Cary talkgroup IDs, yet I hardly ever hear anything. The most I am able to hear is the ocassional EMS/fire automated dispatch messages, and the WCSD's detention center. When I manually choose a talkgroup for RPD to follow, it will sit there all day and hear nothing, or spit out something that sounds either like the garbled static you hear when listening to the control channel, or something that sounds like a modem (encrypted traffic?).

Any ideas?

K7RAG

FlyBoy276

I am programming by hand, however I just found my programming cable after digging around in storage. The bank/ids are set to MOT, and I DO receive some digital communications, but nothing from RPD or CPD.

I found the rebanding thread...is that the likely reason for this? Im installing Win96 now to test it out. *sending email*

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am programming by hand, however I just found my programming cable after digging around in storage. The bank/ids are set to MOT, and I DO receive some digital communications, but nothing from RPD or CPD.

I found the rebanding thread...is that the likely reason for this? Im installing Win96 now to test it out. *sending email*

Ok. received email. Will pull together a Win96 file for you in little while.

Wake County has not gone through rebanding yet so don't worry about that.

Oh and Cary PD operates analog talkgroups on their own separate system. They are not on the Wake County Part of VIPER.

Marshall KE4ZNR

FlyBoy276

Ok. received email. Will pull together a Win96 file for you in little while.

Wake County has not gone through rebanding yet so don't worry about that.

Oh and Cary PD operates analog talkgroups on their own separate system. They are not on the Wake County Part of VIPER.

Marshall KE4ZNR

I tried using Win96 to enable the rebanding..didnt make a difference. I programmed your file to a v-folder so I could switch back and forth, and still nothing. I check the reception of the control channel, and it fluctuates around 85-99%. The radio will stop on an ID, show the name at the bottom, but will either not make a sound, or still spits out what sounds like the control channel. Im at a loss. Ill try walking out to the mailbox with it and see if there is some type of interference in the area that may be causing this..

*edit*
...and there lies the problem. Pretty much as soon as I opened the door to go outside, I could hear again. Something at my place (I live in a townhouse) is causing interference to the reception of 800Mhz, and theres also something nearby that is causing a 'kerchunk' sound to appear on weak 2m FM frequencies. *sigh*

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ok. This is when you try moving the radio around in your townhouse. I know it sounds weird but with digital systems sometimes all it takes is a few inches one way or another. Might not be the spot you want the radio to be in full time but you can usually find a "sweet spot" somewhere in your home. If all else fails you might have invest in a little better antenna such as the Radio Shack 800Mhz rubber duck or other high gain 800Mhz antennas.

Marshall KE4ZNR

I tried using Win96 to enable the rebanding..didnt make a difference. I programmed your file to a v-folder so I could switch back and forth, and still nothing. I check the reception of the control channel, and it fluctuates around 85-99%. The radio will stop on an ID, show the name at the bottom, but will either not make a sound, or still spits out what sounds like the control channel. Im at a loss. Ill try walking out to the mailbox with it and see if there is some type of interference in the area that may be causing this..

*edit*
...and there lies the problem. Pretty much as soon as I opened the door to go outside, I could hear again. Something at my place (I live in a townhouse) is causing interference to the reception of 800Mhz, and theres also something nearby that is causing a 'kerchunk' sound to appear on weak 2m FM frequencies. *sigh*

FlyBoy276

Ok. This is when you try moving the radio around in your townhouse. I know it sounds weird but with digital systems sometimes all it takes is a few inches one way or another. Might not be the spot you want the radio to be in full time but you can usually find a "sweet spot" somewhere in your home. If all else fails you might have invest in a little better antenna such as the Radio Shack 800Mhz rubber duck or other high gain 800Mhz antennas.

Marshall KE4ZNR
Heh..I was actually walking around doing that when I got the email notification. I use the RS 800Mhz duck, and it makes a huge difference, but still not enough to get a reliable receive indoors. Im thinking they moved a site or did some rearranging of antennas? Ive been at this QTH for about 4 years, and this problem just started sometime in the past 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.