Monitoring Smart Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadman1977

I am in Western Wayne County and was curious if I could monitor the Smart Bus trunked system? Are there only transmittors located in Troy?

I have also tried to monitor the Northwest Airlines trunked system in Romulus, I have had no luck.

Are these transmitters low power?

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The SMART TRS is a four-site simulcast TRS, and transmitts from the following locations:

• Armada (Macomb County)
  • Detroit
  • Independence Twp. (NW of Pontiac)
  • Utica (Macomb County)
Each of these sites will transmit the same conversation on each talkgroup off all four towers at the same time. That said, a lot depends on your location, type of receiver, antenna, and coax that you're using. Since the system operates on 900 MHz, signal losses tend to be rather high, when compared to the 150 MHz band. Whereas, the Northwest Airlines TRS, is a single-site system and transmits from one location at Metro Airport, unless their radios are on the Southfield site.

I live in the Ann Arbor area, and I can hear the SMART and Northwest Airlines systems just fine, albeit they tend to be noisier in the summer months with all foliage on the trees.

73's

Ron

roadman1977

For the SmartBus system I chose Motorola Type 2 900MHZ, is that correct?

For Northwest Airline I chose Motorola Type 2 800 MHZ, is that correct?

roadman1977

Almost forgot, I added the Ford Communications trunked system and cannot hear anything. I looked under the Ford Wayne Plant and the Rouge Plant using (the ones that use the LCN system) but there are no talkgroups. Is there anyway to hear these plants?

Thunderbolt

roadman1977 said:
For the SmartBus system I chose Motorola Type 2 900MHZ, is that correct?

For Northwest Airline I chose Motorola Type 2 800 MHZ, is that correct?

Yes, they are both Type 2 systems.

Thunderbolt

roadman1977 said:
Almost forgot, I added the Ford Communications trunked system and cannot hear anything. I looked under the Ford Wayne Plant and the Rouge Plant using (the ones that use the LCN system) but there are no talkgroups. Is there anyway to hear these plants?

Yes, those are EDACS systems, and you have to use the correct LCN in order to track them properly. Sadly, no listeners have sent us that information at this time. Prior to the downturn in the American Automotive industry, Ford was planning to replace all of their older Type 2 systems, with EDACS trunking technology. However, as some plants are being closed and others are being shifted around or sold off, this plan has been placed on the back burner.

73's

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.