Monitoring the "Bambi" Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

If you want to hear some bootleg marine band operators scan the "Bambi" Band, a current popular radio operating frequency range for deerhunters. Scan from 156.2400 - 156.9750 mhz. NBFM analog especially now during deer season and you might hear some of them. These bootleggers tend to operate in groups using dogs to flush deer and hopefully in the process don't shoot each other amonest the panicing deer.

Yesterday I monitored a group on 156.6750 mhz. with S+40 signals indicating they were probably within a mile hunting in a nearby Prince George swamp. Currently two separate groups are on with weaker but good signals. One is on 156.4750 mhz. and the other on 156.5000 mhz.

It appears that they are using Marine HTs possibly with 5 watt power which provide good comm range.

W4UVV

FRS and more VHF frequencies

I would be interesting monitoring that. During hunting season, the game wardens on STARS were very active. Often out in the woods late at night confronting armed people? Kind of a dangerous job in my opinion.

Also monitor the 462 mhz. and 467 mhz. FRS frequencies and the MURS frequencies. I heard deer hunter comms also on 151.6250 mhz. FYI there are deer hunters/clubs legitimately licensed by the FCC. For example, the Petersburg Community Hunt Club is licensed for 4 160 mhz. simplex frequencies and all were active. A 151.5800 mhz. licensed repeater in Greensville Co.was heard. I monitored a group in Sussex Co. on 160.1300 mhz. which is not a valid FCC frequency. That probably is the reason they were operating there. Some deer hunters are active every day in my reception area.

Spotlighting deer is a big problem for DGIF and it receives frequent deer hunter trespassing calls. . An incident this past weekend involved such a call involving a land owner holding some hunting dogs demanding $500 payment each for return to their owners. I assume DGIF resolved the issue.

J_Ward

Va. Conservation Police

They are one of the most aggressive police forces in the state, during hunting season; they make dozens of arrest daily for various game and criminal offences. Its unbelievable how many convicted felons hunt. Also they make regular DUI and DIP arrest. Same statewide powers as the state police and they can get you in the woods or on the water, areas where most Troopers wouldn't want to go because their uniforms would get dirty. Very dangerous job, every person they deal with is armed.
Another unbelievable fact their dispatch center is 24 /7 and they operate out of Richmond for the entire state. If you listen to them on STARS its crazy the call volume all year long.

W4UVV

DGIF Law Enforcement Powers

They are one of the most aggressive police forces in the state, during hunting season; they make dozens of arrest daily for various game and criminal offences. Its unbelievable how many convicted felons hunt. Also they make regular DUI and DIP arrest. Same statewide powers as the state police and they can get you in the woods or on the water, areas where most Troopers wouldn't want to go because their uniforms would get dirty. Very dangerous job, every person they deal with is armed.
Another unbelievable fact their dispatch center is 24 /7 and they operate out of Richmond for the entire state. If you listen to them on STARS its crazy the call volume all year long.

You are correct especially about their level of law enforcement powers the same as the state police. On past occasions I have heard DGIF comms regarding to pursuit/apprehending speeders and reckless drivers on I295. As you stated DGIF has its' own STARS dispatcher 24/7in Richmond controlling statewide. The reason few DGIF voice comms are heard is because DGIF's policy using STARS. The first comm priority is to use their vehicle MDTs and voice comms secondary. The latter typically involve signing on/off for duty and where he/she will be patrolling and occasionally TAC comms.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Yes the first time I every saw a game warden officer was on a back road bridge across Goose Creek in Fauquier County. Dress in hunting type clothes, black boots, and wearing a 9mm side arm. Also thought I spotted an M16 in the cab of his truck (did not stop to look-LOL). He gave me the "eye" but figured me to be just a dude with a dog however if did give me the once over. I did not know what this guy was until I saw the Commonwealth of Virginia patch on his shoulder. I had imagined the game warden to look like some nice friendly forest ranger but this guy was armed for bear (no pun intended). Anyhow I did not stop to chat.

K4NNW

A 151.5800 mhz. licensed repeater in Greensville Co.was heard.
An incident this past weekend involved such a call involving a land owner holding some hunting dogs demanding $500 payment each for return to their owners. I assume DGIF resolved the issue.

The Greensville County repeater probably belonged to Doodlum Hunt Club, based at Poole's Fox Pen.
The payment thing sounds like a load of manure. When I last hunted, hunting dog owners had the right to walk onto private land (posted or not), provided we didn't take firearms and/or archery tackle, to recover our hounds.

W4UVV

You misunderstood the post

The Greensville County repeater probably belonged to Doodlum Hunt Club, based at Poole's Fox Pen.
The payment thing sounds like a load of manure. When I last hunted, hunting dog owners had the right to walk onto private land (posted or not), provided we didn't take firearms and/or archery tackle, to recover our hounds.

You misunderstood the post as an issue pertaining to that repeater. The 151.5800 mhz. repeater, one of two vhf repeaters, is licensed to Weaver's Low Ground in Greensville Co. The comment regarding a DGIF comm regarding hunting dogs being held for ransom by a landowner for hunter's trespassing on his property was not at Weaver's operation but someplace possibly in the Northern Neck area..

K4NNW

You misunderstood the post as an issue pertaining to that repeater. The 151.5800 mhz. repeater, one of two vhf repeaters, is licensed to Weaver's Low Ground in Greensville Co. The comment regarding a DGIF comm regarding hunting dogs being held for ransom by a landowner for hunter's trespassing on his property was not at Weaver's operation but someplace possibly in the Northern Neck area..

Hmmm, I've never heard of them. Then again, it's been a while since I was down that way.
As for the ransom issue, I can only imagine what kind of legal mess that turned out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.