Monitoring USCG in Mobile & Baldwin Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSL126

Hey guys, i'm going to the beach next week. We'll be staying in Orange Beach. Every time i'm down there I always see USCG Helos flying over the water. Does anybody have any frequencies that I could try to program in to see if I can monitor them? Where are those helos based at? Pensacola?

seamusg

CSL126 said:
Hey guys, i'm going to the beach next week. We'll be staying in Orange Beach. Every time i'm down there I always see USCG Helos flying over the water. Does anybody have any frequencies that I could try to program in to see if I can monitor them? Where are those helos based at? Pensacola?
This should get you started:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Marine
USCG uses Ch's16, 21A ,22A and 23A plus some more.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Well, from someone who lives here, keep an ear out fot:
157.150 - Their main working channel.
171.325 - Flightline Maintenance
345.000 - USCG SAR PRI
237.900 - USCG SAR SEC

Most of the comms you will hear are on 157.150
I don't have it here at the office but I'll post their ATC training channel when I get home.

seamusg

kingpin said:
Well, from someone who lives here, keep an ear out fot:
157.150 - Their main working channel.
171.325 - Flightline Maintenance
345.000 - USCG SAR PRI
237.900 - USCG SAR SEC

Most of the comms you will hear are on 157.150
I don't have it here at the office but I'll post their ATC training channel when I get home.
157.150 is ch 23A

bassmkenk2508

If you or anyone you know has a shortwave radio, they use 8983 KHz and 5696 KHz (upper sideband). But that is mostly when out of UHF transmission range, though.

I have heard traffic on 345 MHz all the way over here near Biloxi too.

CSL126

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do have a small shortwave that has SSB capabilities, I guess I could bring it along with me. We will be staying on the 12th floor of our condo so that should make for some interesting listening.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
99% of the coast guard comms in the area, you'll find on the previously mentioned frequencies. They stay on UHF until they are way off shore and they they switch to 8 Megs during the day and 5 megs at night. Also keep an ear on 157.050. You'll hear some of the cutters on here.

When you say "the beach", I assume you're heading to Orange Beach or Gulf Shores. PM me if you need any further info as I'm 5 miles from the beach in Foley.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Jason - off topic a bit, but have y'all had any significant rain in the past 10 days or were the storms that I briefly saw on WKRG radar and live on the webcam from the GC - Chamber of Commerce just the "rain-for-10-minutes and stop" variety?

Last I heard, the drought conditions needed 14 inches of rain to catch up to normal... just hoping that it isn't all at once with a Tropical system. Our property manager said Friday that no water rationing is in place as yet in Orange Beach, but it could happen.

Thanks.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Yes Gary,
We have thankfully gotten a good bit or rain this past week. Thursday we had some minor flooding in Foley causing several MVA's. I love the rain but there goes me only having to mow the grass every 3 weeks!

CSL126

Well guys, i'm back from the beach now. I didn't turn the HF radio on a lot, but when I did the reception was great. I picked up a lot of radio traffic on the HF-GCS and a lot of MWARA traffic as well. I did put the USCG primary vhf frequency into my scanner and heard a bit of traffic on there as well. Thanks again for all of the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.