Monitoring USCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

caldwest

It's been over 20 years since I monitored USCG frequencies. I recently turned on my old list of VHF frequencies and all has been quiet for a few days now.

After doing some research I see that the USCG has migrated most of its activities to UHF in a P25 format and that many of their communications are now encoded. My question is, if I am going to try to monitor these UHF frequencies, what system type is it: P25 one frequency, P25 X2-TDMA, or something else?

Thank you in advance for any assistance?

ecps92

Exactly, unless you are interested in logging the Radio ID [RID] there is no need of One Freq Trunk.

With todays scanners, there is no reason to not load both the VHF and UHF, you never know.
My experience has been the UHF is mainly used for the Aerial Units [Fixed Wing and Helo]
Or just as a conventional channel with digital search.

caldwest

Thank you all for your responses. I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of how to program my BCD536 or SDS200 for active USCG P25 frequencies.

Last night I loaded a number of UHF frequencies in one site for a P25 one frequency system and then scanned the system in ID search mode. I found one frequency with three different TGIDs and the same NAC. Also found one frequency with one TGID and its NAC. Unfortunately I forgot to turn the recorder on.

My question is, how would I program the two frequencies in a favorite list for ID scanning. Do I set the system up as a P25 one frequency with each frequency as a unique site with that system?

ecps92

The USCG VHF and UHF, should only be $293, if you find something different, it is likely Not the USCG
Thank you all for your responses. I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of how to program my BCD536 or SDS200 for active USCG P25 frequencies.

Last night I loaded a number of UHF frequencies in one site for a P25 one frequency system and then scanned the system in ID search mode. I found one frequency with three different TGIDs and the same NAC. Also found one frequency with one TGID and its NAC. Unfortunately I forgot to turn the recorder on.

My question is, how would I program the two frequencies in a favorite list for ID scanning. Do I set the system up as a P25 one frequency with each frequency as a unique site with that system?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
In and around Michigan the USCG also has TG's on the MSPCS P25 P1 digital (700-800 MHz) digital system, so if you if you have something similar in SC. you might check the RR database.

ecps92

Interesting NAC for the Joint Base, are they on the 14C sys ?
Asking as most of those sites use a $140 NAC

AB9NN

Premium Subscriber
Question re: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/United_States_Coast_Guard listing:

In the listing there are sections, each section has tables of frequencies and descriptions. Some frequencies have no descriptions. So a frequency might have no description and the one above it might say something like Lake Michigan or something. As to the records with no descriptions, are those the same as the description above, no one really knows or they are in general use for everyone. I use DSD+ for scanning and being slow I want to eliminate as many unproductive frequencies as possible. I live 7 miles or so inland from Lake MI and 25 miles from Grand Traverse Bay and Traverse City, MI. Getting ready for the spring, summer and fall boating and shipping season.

Also - in the LMR section it makes mention of P25. Does that mean that all the frequencies in that table are always P25 or that some MAY be P25 from time to time otherwise FM or another mode?

ecps92

If you mean no notes in Details, it is just no one posted a comment or an area that it was actually heard in use.

Use varies by Boat, Station, Region , Sector, Units

You never know what might get used in your area by a visiting unit/boat

Yes the USCG LMR is 100% P25

Question re: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/United_States_Coast_Guard listing:

In the listing there are sections, each section has tables of frequencies and descriptions. Some frequencies have no descriptions. So a frequency might have no description and the one above it might say something like Lake Michigan or something. As to the records with no descriptions, are those the same as the description above, no one really knows or they are in general use for everyone. I use DSD+ for scanning and being slow I want to eliminate as many unproductive frequencies as possible. I live 7 miles or so inland from Lake MI and 25 miles from Grand Traverse Bay and Traverse City, MI. Getting ready for the spring, summer and fall boating and shipping season.

Also - in the LMR section it makes mention of P25. Does that mean that all the frequencies in that table are always P25 or that some MAY be P25 from time to time otherwise FM or another mode?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Already have the USCG HF frequencies in a Group Memory in my R8600, but I didn't have these, thanks iMonitor. Making a separate Group Memory for them to scan. I miss the 90s when I lived north of Tampa, so much USCG to monitor. I used an Icom R71 and the R75 with 2 different longwires and I could hear all the action. I would track the hurricanes and listen to the rescues at sea, evacuations, air support, etc. Unfortunately, I tracked a few of those hurricanes to my front door. Exciting times, to say the least.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.