Monitoring VSP with SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to monitor VSP from Loudoun County using my new SDS100, but not having any luck so far.

At this point, I've added VSP to my FL as follows: USA > Virginia > Loudoun > Statewide > VA STARS > Virginia State Police, then 'Append to Favorites List'.

With all of the repeater locations, most of which are out of range, I thought it would be easiest to just enable location control for this system. When I start scanning, it appears to be scanning Dumfries, Fairfax, Independent Hill, and Mount Weather, which seems correct based on my actual location. RSSI is around 99-104 range when on Fairfax, none of the others seem to indicate a signal. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any audio.

I'm using the stock Uniden antenna, SQL set to 2.

Appreciate any tips anyone might have to help resolve my issue.

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
Check to be sure your "Law" "ServiceTypes" are ON.

Yes, I'm able to receive LCSO & LCFR, so basic setup of service types is all good.

After some further testing, it seems that I just don't have enough signal at my location. I've determined that the only repeater site I can hear at the moment is Fairfax, so I've set an avoid for all others so I don't waste time scanning those. I also swapped out the stock Uniden duck for a Diamond SRH77, which gets me more signal. With the combination of locking on the Fairfax site and the improved antenna, I'm now able to get some audio on Fairfax 1 & 2, although quality is not that great. Now that I have identified the issue, I'll continue to work on getting a better signal to the radio.

Anyone else in Loudoun monitoring VSP with an SDS100?

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
Depending on where you are in Loudoun you might not have the best coverage even with a mobile

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I'm able to receive LCSO & LCFR, so basic setup of service types is all good.

After some further testing, it seems that I just don't have enough signal at my location. I've determined that the only repeater site I can hear at the moment is Fairfax, so I've set an avoid for all others so I don't waste time scanning those. I also swapped out the stock Uniden duck for a Diamond SRH77, which gets me more signal. With the combination of locking on the Fairfax site and the improved antenna, I'm now able to get some audio on Fairfax 1 & 2, although quality is not that great. Now that I have identified the issue, I'll continue to work on getting a better signal to the radio.

Anyone else in Loudoun monitoring VSP with an SDS100?
I live just of east of Dulles Airport. I can hear Mt. Weather, Independent Hill, and Fairfax sites at my location. Where, more precisely, are you located in Loudoun County?

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the stock antenna just doesn't cut it. Those are never any good. Using an extended whip, or mag mount will help a lot. If you can get a outdoor VHF antenna up, that will help even more.

I'm able to get full signal on a portable here in NC from the closest STARS site which is on Beamer Knob -- nearly 50 miles away. That thing has some serious coverage footprint!

rbenn

Premium Subscriber
I live just of east of Dulles Airport. I can hear Mt. Weather, Independent Hill, and Fairfax sites at my location. Where, more precisely, are you located in Loudoun County?

I'm about 2 miles west of the Stones Springs hospital, just south off of Rt 50.

What is your setup that you're using to listen to STARS?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I'm about 2 miles west of the Stones Springs hospital, just south off of Rt 50.

What is your setup that you're using to listen to STARS?

I live on the 5th floor of an apartment building (just SE of the intersection of Rt28 and Rt267) with a west facing window, SDS100 with a Remtronix antenna (on the radio.)

Status
Not open for further replies.