Monitoring While Traveling

ctsrj1

We are going to start traveling around the country a bit. Is the a mobile scanning solution that is easy to used for a newbie? I would like to monitor the scanner in my Jeep. Is there a scanner that will automatically update as we move through different counties and states? Thanks.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
R8000 is right. The SDS series will allow you to listen just about everything available. The 100 is portable and will allow you to listen away from your vehicle. The 200 can be mounted under the dash. Though they look different, they operate pretty much the same. You probably should use an external antenna for both.

The GPS addition will monitor your location and periodically change the frequencies to match your location.

Stay safe and happy traveling.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
We are going to start traveling around the country a bit. Is the a mobile scanning solution that is easy to used for a newbie? I would like to monitor the scanner in my Jeep. Is there a scanner that will automatically update as we move through different counties and states? Thanks.
I'd agree with both R8000 and KK4JUG.

If your travels about the country take you to, or through, any urban metro areas, you are virtually certain to encounter Simulcast Distortion on P25 trunked systems. So one of the SDS series scanners is the best choice. The advantage of the SDs100, over the SDS200, is that, being a portable scanner, you can take it with you, not just limited to a fixed location with an installed (in your vehicle) SDS200.

Uniden has a 'universal' GPS kit, with the cables and other items needed for it to work with any of their scanners that can utilize GPS..

However, if you purchase an SDS100, you can use a slightly cheaper option. Use this cable and this GPS puck. Add a 12v =>USB power adapter that can provide 2 amps @5 volts, and this will let the SDS100 use GPS, plus power the puck, as well as the scanner, with enough current to both operate the scanner & puck, with enough current to both charge the scanner as well as operating it.

Ensnared

Yes, but I would not call it "easy" for a newbie. You can also use the 436HP with GPS. I have not used my blasted GPS puck in many years. I hate it!

There is a cheaper option, but it requires occasional updating. This works for the SDS 100 and 436HP. You can use the zip code method. If you don't want to listen to the sanitation, utilities, etc., it is necessary to select/deselect various "service types." I ask my co-pilot to look up the zip code for a city. Then, I may set the range from 0 to 50 miles, depending on the area.

While simulcast distortion affects the 436HP, it seems to be more problematic in densely populated areas. I use both radios on my trips. The SDS 100 is the better option due to the ability to decode and latch on to a talk group (channel) like a pit bull.

Well, that is my opinion.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Being the old codger that I am, I'm rather distrustful of the criminal element in some parts of the country, having an SDS-100 means you can take it with you when you leave the car. With the SDS-200, you might find someone else has already taken it when you return.

Ensnared

Being the old codger that I am, I'm rather distrustful of the criminal element in some parts of the country, having an SDS-100 means you can take it with you when you leave the car. With the SDS-200, you might find someone else has already taken it when you return.
After working some twenty-two years in TDCJ, I can assure you that many incarcerated offenders are not intelligent enough to program and/or use a sophisticated police scanner like the SDS 100. I have administered countless Wechsler IQ tests while in stir. However, there are some that a highly-intelligent.

LOL. I worked with the ones that got caught. So, most are rather simple.

But, you are correct in saying it is wise to take that little boy with you. If you want to have fun at Christmas, the season of car burglaries, wrap all of your garbage to look like presents. Make sure you get your valuables secured first.

Leave the vehicle unlocked with the present in plain sight. If you get lucky, you might catch them on your security cam.

When I go to anywhere, I always secure my radios. Some burglars will steal anything.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
After working some twenty-two years in TDCJ, I can assure you that many incarcerated offenders are not intelligent enough to program and/or use a sophisticated police scanner like the SDS 100. I have administered countless Wechsler IQ tests while in stir. However, there are some that a highly-intelligent.
They only have to be intelligent enough to know its resale value..$500 looks good enough to them

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
They only have to be intelligent enough to know its resale value..$500 looks good enough to them
On the other hand, they only have to be intelligent enough to enter a zip code. The programming got so complicated that they simplified it.

Ensnared

The lowest IQ I tested was in the severe range of ID. That person could not possibly enter a zip code and make the radio work. They could not identify and/or combine coins when presented with the question. Based on the number of questions people ask in forums, after attempting to use the zip code function, I stand by my statements, LOL.

Last edited: