Monmouth County TRS into a BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
Having issues programming the Monmouth County TRS into a BCD996P2. I imported it via Radio Reference but its not picking anything up.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not even receiving encryption
The scanner willl skip over encryption.

Watch the display to see if you see it briefly display any control channel frequencies.

If you don't see any, you won't receive the system.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Probably simulcast distortion, plenty of threads around here explaining it. Try enabling attenuation on the sites, see if that helps any.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
I'm definitely in range. I pick up the system on my pager and radio.

I think the import system type may be wrong but I'm not sure of the correct setting.

I'll look for attenuation

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What software are you using? ProScan? Butel? FreeScan? Other?

It's a P25 Standard system, or whatever it's termed in your software and the scanner. Not X2-TDMA.

Being in range really doesn't apply to simulcast distortion, in fact it can hurt when using a scanner that is not equipped to properly deal with simulcast modulation. If you are in the middle of 2 or more subsites (towers), it can cause the scanner to basically receive nothing. Assuming the programming is good, if you are able to receive the system on your pager and radio (I assume Unication G-Series and APX or some other real subscriber?), then it's probably simulcast distortion which the 996P2 does not handle well (despite what others may claim, it's well documented).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Unfortunately FreeScan is no longer supported and hasn't been updated in quite some time, however it should work fine with a run of the mill P25 system and the 996P2.

I would suggest troubleshooting by manually programming the system into the scanner with the minimal amount of info. Create a new P25 Standard trunked system, add a new site, add the active control channel to the site, and make sure the scanner is in ID Search mode. You don't need to label anything, you just want to get the scanner to lock onto the control channel and to start decoding. Should take less than 1 minutes to do that, and you'll know immediately if you have a programming issue.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you see what looks like a good signal on the signal bars, but the scanner isn't consistently display DAT while on the control channel, then you have a simulcast distortion issue. You can try enabling attenuation for the site, or try a different antenna that has less gain (not sure if this is a base or mobile application, but try the stock back-of-set antenna fully collapsed if base). Sometimes less is more with these older scanners decoding a simulcast P25 system.

JMR3865

Premium Subscriber
I dont see any DAT's. I'm not seeing any bars. I just deleted the ICS system (which was working) to narrow it down.

NParkNJ

On the Road
If you see what looks like a good signal on the signal bars, but the scanner isn't consistently display DAT while on the control channel, then you have a simulcast distortion issue. You can try enabling attenuation for the site, or try a different antenna that has less gain (not sure if this is a base or mobile application, but try the stock back-of-set antenna fully collapsed if base). Sometimes less is more with these older scanners decoding a simulcast P25 system.

not to knock his programming or scanner skills, I’ve used freescan to program the Wayne, Morris County, NJICS, Rockland, Orange, lately Parsippany’s new system. Freescan albeit old is still happily working and doing its thing.

I always say check the squelch @JMR3865 If its anymore than like 3 or 4, you may lose your signal if there is any entirely. I keep it at 2 and it seems to be doing wonderfully.

PriorMike

996P2's don't display DAT when receiving P25 control channels.

PriorMike

Yeah guys, I pulled my statement out of my rear end.

My lying eyes tell me that the two I own, they don't display DAT when on a P25 control channel, only my 996T does.

My 325P2 doesn't either.

Stuff your emoticon.

Last edited:

wtp

DAT appears if the control channel is being received in Scan Receiving/Hold Modes.
from marks scanners.
DAT Displays if the control channel is being received in Scan Receiving/Hold Modes.
from the uniden manual.
not seeing it, would indicate that you are not getting the control channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.