Mono amplifier for Handheld scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

Would it be possible to connect one of those cheap mono amplifiers to a handheld scanner speaker to increase the volume? Thanks
Most scanners have stereo headphone jacks, even though they're mono, because mono headphones/earbuds/etc have become hen's teeth these days. But many people use amplified speakers on HH scanners, and I'm sure some are running inline amps as well, though a typical set of computer speakers can be had for $10 at Walmart etc and will work just fine...I've done this for a long time myself out in my shop with a variety of HH scanners. Just picked up a new set the other day, Logitech brand, no power adapter needed, plugs directly into the wall, excellent volume and quality. $9.99. There are plenty around that are designed to run off of 12VDC from the computer as well, so you could use those in a vehicle with a lighter plug wired to the correct tip for power. Often these can be found at Goodwill or thrift stores for peanuts; I have a master from sets such as these in each of my vehicles, and they work great.

bharvey2

I'll second the computer speaker route. It's simple and it works just fine. No reason to complicate things when you can get all you need in one package. Go cheap or go expensive. You have plenty from which to choose.

Barney6

Premium Subscriber
I have a question. I received a Speco AES-4 amplified speaker as a gift. Unfortunately, the power leads are bare wires. I want to use this speaker at home only. I know I need a 12v dc adapter but for the life of me, I can't find a simple 2 prong ac-dc adapter online. Splicing is no problem for me and yes, Google was used. TIA, Chuck.

DJ11DLN

I have a question. I received a Speco AES-4 amplified speaker as a gift. Unfortunately, the power leads are bare wires. I want to use this speaker at home only. I know I need a 12v dc adapter but for the life of me, I can't find a simple 2 prong ac-dc adapter online. Splicing is no problem for me and yes, Google was used. TIA, Chuck.
Maybe pick up a cheap 12V wall wart, check the polarity, cut the plug off, and solder the leads to your speaker's bare wires? Check for current draw first, make sure the wart you pick up has enough capacity. That's what I'd do in your situation, wall warts are cheap and everywhere.

slicerwizard

https://www.amazon.com/Accessory-USA-Switching-adapter-5-5x2-1mm/dp/B00VT60S0G

Might be a bit underpowered if you're planning on really cranking up that speaker. Still, 7 watts in should give you a fair bit of audio out.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Adapter-1000MA-Listed-Supply/dp/B01HNHWOJ2

A full 12 watts to annoy the neighbours.

Personally, I prefer more versatile devices:

https://www.amazon.com/Regulated-Switching-Replacement-Household-Electronics/dp/B015PXUHYA

Lots of choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.