Monoc Air 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS156

Hi all-
Please forgive me if this information is out there already, but does anyone know what freq MONOC dispatches their MedEvac on? Also, are they still located in Trenton?

Thanks!

Joseph11

I believe they are still located in Trenton. I have all of the frequency information here. I never heard them dispatched over the radio, so I'm thinking they're dispatched by phone.

mredding

Premium Subscriber
The dirty bird and equally orange ambulances

Erik_T_Romatowski said:
I've seen MONOC Air1 and MONOC rigs in New Brunswick recently. Any reason why?

Robert Wood in New Brunswick is a level 1 trauma center with a helipad on the sixth floor... :) I would imagine ALS jobs from nearby towns like Marlboro, BLS non-emergency transports, and critical care both by air and ground.

Monoc One doesn't have it's own frequency yet, and talks to Control the same way all the other Monoc units do. When the bird's in the air, everyone else gets moved over to Nextel except for "initial dispatch and emergencies." As far as dispatches go, however, I can't say I've heard any for the chopper on Monoc's repeater, but I can't say I've really been listening either.

Monoc One is interesting. It's very . . . orange. If it was licensed for shock trauma, it could be called MONSTAR. I'd be amused. http://www.monoc.org/medivac_slideshow.cfm

ctrabs74

Joseph11 said:
I believe they are still located in Trenton. I have all of the frequency information here. I never heard them dispatched over the radio, so I'm thinking they're dispatched by phone.

I was under the impression that they'd also have access to the NJSP system via the Aviation/NorthSTAR/SouthSTAR TGs.

Joseph11

Yes. They use the NorthSTAR talkgroup on the NJSP TRS, but not as a primary.

mredding said:
Robert Wood in New Brunswick is a level 1 trauma center with a helipad on the sixth floor... :) I would imagine ALS jobs from nearby towns like Marlboro, BLS non-emergency transports, and critical care both by air and ground.[/url]

I know that RWJ is a Level 1 center and has a pad, but isnt there one down the shore? I mean, Middlesex county is covered by by units dispatched by Med-Central (aka, RWJ), and towns like Marlboro, etc. aren't exactly close. and I haven't seen MONOC units until very recently (past few months).

robbinsj2

Monoc units are not necessarily there for the trauma center (though it is likely for the medevac). As MRedding also mentioned, local ALS and CCT and non-emergency transport would have cause to be there.

Years back I used to see Monoc units at RWJ somewhat regularly -- often a CCT unit but occasionally an EMS unit. Sometimes their medics come up to Old Bridge or, I think, Monroe if a Middlesex County unit isn't available. And sometimes they were with a Monmouth squad's BLS unit, suggesting that the patient requested RWJ and they accommodated (it wasn't a trauma patient, judging from the way they were packaged and greeted).

If it's non-emergency transport units which you're seeing, maybe more often recently because they're partially filling the void which R-M left?

Jim

divcfd

Monoc 1

The helicopter is dispatched via phone but the crew relays flight info to Control via Med. Ch. 9, 10 or 11 depending on thier location. They are stationed at Miller Air Park in Ocean County off Rt. 530. They are also licensed for scene trauma transport but only after North and South Star have aborted or are not available. N & S * have to be requested first and deny the flight BEFORE Monoc or Atlantic Air Ambulance can accept the flight. (At least that's what the law says. Doesn't always happen that way.)

MONOC owns many different contracts with multiple hospitals throughout the state which may be why you see them in N.B more frequently. They also do 911 BLS in several communities in and around Middlesex county.

Word on the street is that Monoc is looking for additional Medevac's to purchase, but that is in the future.

scannersnstuff

monoc

o.k. i have a question.i know they do their flight op's on "monoc control" but what do they use to communicate patient info.to the e/r doctor ?.also i heard one of the nj med-evac service's dispatcher state something to the effect of if you can't reach us via radio go to the satellite system.any idea's ?.

divcfd

All Monoc ground ALS communicate with medical control via Nextel, I believe the flight medics do the same. Don't know about satellite com's but I'll try to find out.

mondaro

Feed Provider
How long at Miller or KMJX

How long has the ship been at Miller Air Park ? Also if anyone knows why did they move out of Trenton Mercer and why not have them more centrally located in Allaire Airport which is a close to there cooperate headquarters.

Tony M.

scannersnstuff

Nextel

Can You Use A Nextel Aboard A Helicopter Or Does It Interfere With The Navigational System's ?.also How Do They Work The Logistic's Of The Rotor Noise ?,headphones ?,bluetooth ?.

mredding

Premium Subscriber
Trauma Centers

In reference to trauma centers "down the shore," Jersey Shore in Neptune is a "level two" trauma center and a common destination, but RWJ could be closer in some parts of the area. Try getting to Neptune down Route 9 during evening rush hour on a Friday in the summer, for instance. (GO HOME BENNYS.) For a complete list of trauma centers and related information, visit http://www.state.nj.us/health/ems/trmactr.htm

As far as cell phones and aeronautical equipment, or electronics in general, most electronic equipment should only be minimally effected if at all by cell phones. When accurate operation is critical, such as in hospitals or aircraft, electronics are designed so that possible problems are mitigated as much as possible. This is why the equipment gets to be so expensive. I could probably strap some fliters, amplifiers and wires together and build a circuit to read an ECG at a relatively low cost, but problems would be likely to happen. The same holds true in other applications. So why do they still tell you to turn your cell phone off on planes and in hospitals? Just to be on the safe side. You can only guarantee death and taxes.

[EDIT: As far as rotors are concerned, that's obviously another story. I imagine it's not a helluvalot different than doing EMS in an aluminum box with a diesel engine and sirens strapped to it though.]

Yes, I am an engineer, and a whacker. :)

[EDIT x2: I didn't know they moved the chopper. That's interesting. This hasn't been updated in a while, but it shows MONOC One flying around TTN as recently as 6/29/06 when it seems to have last been updated (MONOC One is N311PH) http://www.mercercounty.org/airport/aircraftactivities.htm ]

Last edited:

mredding

Premium Subscriber
Monoc One Dispatch

I stand corrected. Monoc One was dispatched over the radio today about 1500, and was off the deck with three souls on board at 1530. On a side note, the tones coincidentally sound very close to Squad 29-21 (Matawan First Aid) on Monmouth County EMS-1.

divcfd

Monoc felt Miller Air Park was the most centrally located airport for their flight operations. AND, Allaire would not allow them to land there. Too many people complaining about the noise. People buy a house near an airport, or highway, or bar/restaurant and then ***** about the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.