Monroe and Ontario Counties New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfp237

I hope this doesn’t violate the policy. It isn’t intended to be a negative post or rant on encryption. I am just looking for some advice.

I have been out of the scanning hobby for a few years but would like to get back in with an SDS200 (when I find one for sale) - mainly to monitor Monroe and Ontario County police agencies. But I don’t know how much is encrypted now or is likely to be soon, so I don’t know if it is worth dropping $700. Does anyone have any thoughts.

Sorry, I meant for this to be posted in the New York Discussion Forum and can’t figure out how to move it there or delete it from this Forum.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I hope this doesn’t violate the policy. It isn’t intended to be a negative post or rant on encryption. I am just looking for some advice.

I have been out of the scanning hobby for a few years but would like to get back in with an SDS200 (when I find one for sale) - mainly to monitor Monroe and Ontario County police agencies. But I don’t know how much is encrypted now or is likely to be soon, so I don’t know if it is worth dropping $700. Does anyone have any thoughts.

Sorry, I meant for this to be posted in the New York Discussion Forum and can’t figure out how to move it there or delete it from this Forum.
Click on the Report on the bottom line of your post (left lower corner), and enter the reason you want it moved to the New York forum. One of the moderators will take care of it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
See the "Mode" column in the database? If there's a trailing uppercase E, that talkgroup is encrypted full time. If there's a trailing lowercase "e", that talkgroup is encrypted on a part-time basis.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Western Monroe county and only two channels are currently encrypted both law tactical. They still use all of the open channels, most if not all of the time. I could listen in on all the action of the last few weeks and several stakeouts and chases. (FedEx, Bank robbery)
Some of the fire depts. are still transitioning to the P25/P2 but they have links set up between the systems so you can still listen to departments and equipment that is still on the VHF/UHF systems. I have a SDS100 & 200 and they work well for this system and somewhat better than my 436HP.

rfp237

I'm in Western Monroe county and only two channels are currently encrypted both law tactical. They still use all of the open channels, most if not all of the time. I could listen in on all the action of the last few weeks and several stakeouts and chases. (FedEx, Bank robbery)
Some of the fire depts. are still transitioning to the P25/P2 but they have links set up between the systems so you can still listen to departments and equipment that is still on the VHF/UHF systems. I have a SDS100 & 200 and they work well for this system and somewhat better than my 436HP.
Do you monitor just the P25/P2 system or the conventional frequencies too?

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I mainly listen to the trunked system but I do listen to analog fire in my basement on my old BC-250 and at times the old P25 UHF on my
396XT. I have been compiling a UID list for the P25/2 system and programming them in Sentinel so they show up as info on the compatible scanners. The one thing that's good about the P25/2 system is that I can be anyplace and still monitor all of the conversation where the analog systems are more limited in range. I still have a soft spot for the older analog systems though as I once installed and used much of the equipment.
I would suggest you download and install Sentinel and get familiar with it before you buy, that way you can install the system the way you want and work on modifying it as you go. BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Status
Not open for further replies.