Monroe Co., no Towns West traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
I'm running a BCD436HP just west of the Bay. I can pick up all channels on the P25, with the exception of Towns West. If I put it on Hold, I pick up nothing. I ran some tests on some other scanners just south of Scottsville (I can pick up the P25 just as well there), like before, there was nothing on Hold, and when I set it to Scan, it was as if the channel was being skipped.

I've heard it's possible Gates and Greece are operating on MCSO Dispatch, but I've only heard Sheriff call signs (nothing in the 800s), although I could always be mistaken. It should also be noted that I'm picking up Towns North just fine.

Has anyone else been able to pick up traffic on Towns West? Are they operating on some other channel or talkgroup that I'm unaware of?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else been able to pick up traffic on Towns West? Are they operating on some other channel or talkgroup that I'm unaware of?

When you say "on the P25" do you mean the current conventional P25 UHF frequency? Or on the new 800 MHz TRS?

Right now I'm hearing Towns West on both. The patch to the TRS is on-demand, and there are definitely times when there aren't any radios affiliated with that TG and you don't hear it.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I'm listening to the UHF.

As I said, I was hearing it when I posted. I'm away from my scanners right now.

Is this a new problem for you? I *have* noticed that there definitely seems to be some directionality in the UHF channels. I'm located in the southwest part of Monroe County and I can pick up Towns West and the west admin channel very well, but Towns North and east admin are iffy.

k2hz

Database Admin
Towns West UHF is active as usual but coverage is very spotty outside of the intended service area of Gates & Greece. The same is true of Towns North if you attempt to listen on the west side of the county. As the name implies, these frequencies are intended to cover only the specific towns vs the Sheriff countywide coverage. The same is somewhat true of the E and W Admin channels although the coverage of each is somewhat greater to cover the respective sides of the county vs just specific towns.

I can receive Towns West in Brighton only on an outside antenna and, even then, the signal strength is not great.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
Is this a new problem for you? I *have* noticed that there definitely seems to be some directionality in the UHF channels.

I can receive Towns West in Brighton only on an outside antenna and, even then, the signal strength is not great.
I've recently started listening again after a several month (perhaps a year) long break. If I recall, my settings at the time were to only pick up East traffic.

If the issue is location (which it certainly seems to be), I'll just have to keep listening, and see what I hear. I appreciate the help, and I'll post updates if necessary, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.